Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Radiator contractor who serves RI?

lancia
lancia Member Posts: 21
Looking for a contractor to look over my steam radiator system in RI.

There is no one listed under the site and all the MA ones are only serving MA

I'm looking for someone to install some main vents ( as there is none), check the slopes of the pipes in basement as it looks like they are level and run me through the whole system as some rooms staying cold. just bought the house and I sm finding some heating issues after reading dans book.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    edited December 2014
    Why not go to a local wholesale plumbing house, [which would sell steam related parts], and ask the oldest counterman who would be good with steam. Also search here for "Rhode Island", so any threads pop up, having to do with Rhode Island. I believe you are not the first to be searching for this.
    Post some pictures of the ends of the returns, and we can suggest a plan for him to follow.
    Tell us the history of the system if you know it.--NBC
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Post pics would be the best place to start
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    One issue the oldest guy is only going to be 60 and he thinks steam is obsolete and they need forced air to get AC in the house. I say ask Tim McElwain. RI is one state I have not worked in yet. Maybe I need to check them out next. I already cover MA, CT and parts of VT and NY. Now if some one would please get me a teleporter I would be able to go a bit further afield.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • lancia
    Thanks for the responses. I will post pictures later today to get an idea of what needs to be done
  • lancia
    Here are some pictures of the boiler piping and then the 3 lines running to basically each corner of the house where the radiators are located.

In one picture you can see a cap coming off a pipe that is attached to the return lines. Should a vent go there? Or should a vent be at the end of each of the 3 bigger lines before they go up in the ceiling?

I know there is no Hartford loop and I have a friend who used to install boilers do that part but it's not familiar with steam so doesn't have the answers to everything else

2 out of 3 main lines have a separate smaller pipe return below them and the one that doesn't seems level and not pitched to the boiler at all. I think that pipe is the one heading to the radiators that are not getting hot quick enough so wasn't sure if that could be part of the issue....

Thanks for all your help
  • First thing to find are the main vents, these should be on the ends of the dry returns, just before the returns drop down to the wet return. The dry returns should never join above the waterline, as yours are.
    The water in the sight-glass looks rather dirty, and could produce wet steam.
    Your piping friend could help you rectify these faults one by one as you learn more about the operation of the system.--NBC
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    Drop the pressure.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • lancia
    There is no main vents anywhere on the system. That's what I'm trying to get installed but not sure of the proper location to put them

Which pipes are the dry return?

With what everyone has been saying I'm realizing that more and more things were installed incorrectly
  • lancia
    Looks like pressure is at 3psi so I should drop it to 2psi or lower ?
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    Turn the main down to 2 and then turn the differential down to 1 or 1-1/2. See how it runs then and be sure the pressuretrol does not lock out. That style of pressuretrol is problematic but most can be made to work ok.

You last picture shows what looks like a steam main with a rerturn off the end of it. That return comes back to the boiler and drops down to a wet return, I see what looks like a cleanout a little ways down that vertical run. If you install a T there you can go up a foot or more and put a vent there and use a plug in the other side of the T for a access point to clean things out.

Are the other mains set up the same way? You want to vent all the mains so steam can reach all the radiators at about the same time and do so quickly.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    Charlie from wmass
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    As you already know,your system is in dire need of rebuilding…If your on a tight budget you and your friend can try it….If not, you should consider a visit from a steam guy…Hopefully in your area….I don’t believe there a quick magical fix…..Sorry not being much help, but just my advise...
  • lancia
    2 out of 3 makes have the return slow them and both return to the same vertical piece near boiler

Do I want the main vents closer to where the piping is about to head up through ceiling towards radiators or near boiler? What type of main vent would I i install?

We are on a budget and I'm sure my friend could do it but my problem is he doesn't know what needs to be done so I need someone to come in that knows steam to fix it properly. Been having trouble finding someone in RI who is familiar with it all

Thanks again for responding