Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Viridian circ....

kcopp
kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
Anyone used the new Taco Viridian 1816 circ yet?
What did you think....?
Looks sleek. Looks like its a step up for sure.

Comments

• RJMCTAFO
    RJMCTAFO Member Posts: 113
    Have had one in my house for about 2.5 months. Love it. Quiet as a 007.
  • ced48
    ced48 Member Posts: 469
    Just installed one. It is quieter than a 007. I will be posting more of my feelings on this circulator after Christmas, but my first impressions are, they have a real winner on their hands with this one.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Looks great -- now can we have a smaller version -- say a VR1210?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,019
    very quiet, like a circ should be. I like the 4 bolt motor, so it can be rotated for vertical piping. Nice sized wiring compartment.

I miss the rotating flanges that the Bumblebee had, that was a great feature.

Also the Viridian display screen is pretty small, and dark colored you need to be really close to see it. The Magna has a dark background screen with bright white text, much easier to read.

The BB had the large red readouts that could bee seen from across the room, that was a nice feature.

The Viridian has a BB logo, does this replace the "buzzing" BB? Just installed, need some time to digest the Viridian features.

My BB leaked oil the day it was installed, and still dripping oil a year later when I removed it?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • BigRob
    BigRob Member Posts: 322
    hot rod said:

very quiet, like a circ should be. I like the 4 bolt motor, so it can be rotated for vertical piping. Nice sized wiring compartment.

I miss the rotating flanges that the Bumblebee had, that was a great feature.

Also the Viridian display screen is pretty small, and dark colored you need to be really close to see it. The Magna has a dark background screen with bright white text, much easier to read.

The BB had the large red readouts that could bee seen from across the room, that was a nice feature.

The Viridian has a BB logo, does this replace the "buzzing" BB? Just installed, need some time to digest the Viridian features.

My BB leaked oil the day it was installed, and still dripping oil a year later when I removed it?

Is the oil level user serviceable or "sealed for life?" I need to look into oiling my existing pumps if they are user serviceable. I have a Taco 0011, an Alpha, and and another PSC 15-55 circulator.

• hot_rod
    I don't know of any wet rotor circ that needs oil? The fluid in the system is the lubrication for the bearings, or bushings. Perhaps this is some sort of assembly lube, leaking out?

The only circ I have ever oiled are the 3 piece, like B&G 100 series, etc.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • BigRob
    BigRob Member Posts: 322
    hot rod said:

I don't know of any wet rotor circ that needs oil? The fluid in the system is the lubrication for the bearings, or bushings. Perhaps this is some sort of assembly lube, leaking out?

The only circ I have ever oiled are the 3 piece, like B&G 100 series, etc.

Ah, ok, that's what I thought. Maybe the oil is for cooling, like in big transformers. Or, maybe the ECM motors need oil. Now I want to open one up.
  • There is no oil in the B Bee or any other wet rotor circ that I am aware of. These are 75% system fluid cooled and 25% air cooled - no oil cooling. Send me the one that has been making oil "for a year". I'd love to see it.

Three piece dry rotor circs have oil lubricated pump and motor bearings (and oil present in the capacitor). No start capacitor in the Bee).

Hot Rod, the Viridian 1816 does not have a display - might explain your comment and subsequent "fare?" comparison to the much larger Magna.
  • hot_rod
    Hi Steve, sorry about the wrong Viridian model number, I was referring to the display on the Viridian VT2218 that I installed here.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA