Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Propane heater running rich

Options
racer56
racer56 Member Posts: 1
Hey guys,
I am new to this site and would like to ask a few questions...

I am a new home owner and have an aged propane heating system (probably 10-15 years old)
It is a trane but I am not sure what model. I have a 250 gallon propane tank that I had filled earlier this winter but my system seems to be running rich. I can smell a little bit of propane coming out of the exhaust when it gets rainy/cold and can see some smoke come out of the exhaust. I was wondering if this is common or if it is a small fix or is there a way I can fix this myself. I am pretty handy, but heating systems are new to me and I dont know if anyone has had any experience with this. I just dont want to run the tank out so quickly.

Thanks
racer56

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    You need a professional with a combustion analyzer ASAP. Call the gas company and ask nicely. The words "I smell gas" are phenomenally effective at getting a response in the event the nice way doesn't work.
    RobG
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'd like to second that device SWEI gave. There are quite a few factors that can cause the smell of the fuel being burned. Incorrect manifold pressure or incoming pressure of fuel must be measured and set according to Mfg. spec. Make sure you ask the service person to check for any carbon buildup inside HX.