Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Rinnai issues

Options
Have a rinnai R94LSI. Has worked perfect for years. Suddenly wife says there is no how water. Sure enough, it won't even try to light off. No codes. Unplug it and everything resets. Turn it on and it fires up for a few seconds and then it shuts itself down. No codes. Won't try to re-light after any amount of time that has passed. Reset it and occassionally it will continue to work until you turn the how water off and need it to re-ignite. Then it lights up and shuts down in a few seconds.

Have had someone come out and they talked to Rinnai while trying to diagnose. Of course the crazy thing was working perfect when they tried to work on it., Rinnai said to clean it. They did and left. I got in the shower and two minutes after I got in, it stopped working. Same thing, no codes.

Fast forward, another chargeable service call that I was not there to listen to the conversation with Rinnai. They said that it was the water flow servo and it needed replacing. I asked what would happen if that didn't fix it. They said that they would have to come out and do another chargeable service call. So now i am looking at approaching 500-600 or more by the time they finish this replacement and come out for another. I can buy a new unit for $850.00 from the plumber that does our new construction. At the decision point and I'm not gonna keep letting them replace parts one at a time with no guarantee to fix the problem.

So I think the fact that there are no codes and the unit won't restart until reset is significant information. Doesn't sound like any of the overheat safety items because the service manual says that when it cools down it will attempt ignition again. I checked the water flow servo and bypass servo in accordance with the service manual and they both check good. ( I realize that really only means they are checking good in the positin they are in and that the wiper pots could have bad spots in them.) i do not know, but I would think that since there is a 05 code available in the computer (bypass servo code) that if I unplugged the bypass servo that I should be able to induce the 05 code either during the reset self test or by running it. It will not generate a code. Interestingly enough, I can unplug the water flow servo OR the bypass servo and it will ignite and then shut down with no codes. (Have never tried multiple times to see if it will ever continue to operate) If I unplug BOTH, it will not attempt to ignite, but there are still no codes. That may be insignificant, but at least it's more info.

So. Who has ideas? Any Rinnai techs out there that want to take a stab at it?

Comments

• j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    post a pic
  • Divotf15
    Divotf15 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Post a pic of what?
  • j a_2
    Options
    the unit and venting
  • Divotf15
    Divotf15 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Ok, I'll try to get some, but not sure what any one will get out of that. Unit has worked perfectly and there are no supply issues as determined by me and verified by plumber. It's hard for me to do the pic thing because my computer is locked down to prevent inputs from external accessories......network protection.
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Are you sure there are no codes? It retains the last 10 faults and you can dump the history on the touch-pad. Once the water is turned off, the code disappears on the display.

You have to make the determination of repair/replace, but even if you replace it, I'd still get my hands on the flow control valve and replace it on the original. Or, pull the valve and disassemble the valve and clean and reinstall. There may be a rough spot that is hanging the turbine up. Given it is a metering device and accurate at that it has a pretty tight spec. Once you get the black barrel containing the turbine out pay particular attention to how it is assembled. With only 3parts, it's amazing how I've tie myself up putting that darned thing back together. Then again, I was ADD before it was fashionable.
    kcopp
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    My ADD says that YOU need to call Rinnai Tech Support, and tell them that you have already paid for numerous calls and they can't resolve it. Now YOU are calling. Someone isn't getting the proper tech.

You may be able to buy a new one for $850, but you have to add installation cost for a new one that won't have the exact same venting etc.

After the second or third time there for the same issue, I get embarrassed and relentless with Tech Support.

You probably need someone like "Jack" to be trying to fix it, not Joe The Plumber. He's clueless.

"" Have had someone come out and they talked to Rinnai while trying to diagnose. ""

Who's that guy?

"" I can buy a new unit for $850.00 from the plumber that does our new construction ""

How come HE can't DX and troubleshoot it? If you're gonna sell it for peanuts, you should at least be able to act like a smart monkey and fix it for peanuts.
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Options
    ;)
  • j a_2
    Options
    When and if it runs was some one able to take the readings using a dual manometer? Is there any condensation in the line at the bottom of the gas valve….Is the vent pitched back to the unit or away from the unit….