Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator vents making a lot of noise

kennyb
kennyb Member Posts: 31
edited December 2014 in THE MAIN WALL
Okay to update the post cause I'm a idiot I have a 1 pipe Weil McLain boiler pressure is set to 1.5 cutout .5 cut in. I have 2 mains 1 vented with 2 gorton #1's the other has no vents just the radiator vents. The main with no vents is hissing which goes to 2 radiators only. On the radiators that hiss I have a vari vent on one and a gorton #6 on the other

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    Some of the basic questions. What is the pressure set at? Loud radiator valves can be inadequate main venting. How long and what size are the mains? 2 Gorton #1 vents isn't much so either you have very small mains or not enough venting. The only way the steam can "blow right through the valves" is if the pressure is WAY too high. Even if the pressuretrol is set correctly are you sure the pigtail is clear? Do you have a good low pressure gauge on the system to see what pressure you are actually running at? On the surface it definitely sounds like a pressure issue especially your comment about a Gorton #6 hissing. The Gorton's are known to be quiet.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • kennyb
    Updated the post
  • KC_Jones
    The hissing is from not having main vents on that main, almost certainly. The capacity of a Gorton #1 is over twice that of the Gorton #6 you have on the Radiator. And a Gorton #2 main vent is roughly 7 times that of the #6. Unless you have a tiny system you will probably need at least 1 #2 vent on the main. The general rule of thumb is 1 Gorton #2 for every 20' of 2" pipe. 3 #1 vents would also be equivalent if you don't have the height for #2 vents. That radiator vent is tiny in comparison to main vents and it is trying to do the work of the main vents, which as you can hear doesn't work very well. With proper main venting a Gorton #6 will be silent. Also you won't be able to truly balance the system until you get your main venting sorted out. measure up your mains for length and diameter and we can probably recommend how much main venting you need.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • kennyb
    Okay I'll measure tonight or tomorrow when I get home from work.
  • kennyb
    Now my other question would be if i have no main venting with that other main how can I go about adding a main vent to that line.?
  • KC_Jones
    Post some pictures of your piping and we may be able to suggest a way to add vents. Every situation is different.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • Paul_11
    Paul_11 Member Posts: 210
    KC, you may want to check the charts on page 130 and 131 of greening steam
    a Gorton #2 can vent 95 feet of 2" pipe in one minute at 3 ounces of pressure.

I follow these charts carefully and have had great results.
    99% of my work in in multiple dwellings of 10 to 200 units and all my one pipe systems run between 1 and 2 psi.
    All my 2 pipe run between 4 ounces and 1 psi.

My Vacuum systems run on even less pressure

PAUL
    A Real Good Plumber, Inc
    Since 1990, I have made steam systems quiet, comfortable, and efficient. We provide comfort while saving the planet.
    NYC RETROFIT ACCELERATOR QUALIFIED SERVICE PROVIDER

A REAL GOOD PLUMBER, INC
    NYC LMP: 1307
    O:212-505-1837
    M:917-939-0593
  • KC_Jones
    I use the venting capacities from Gerry Gill's book and at 3 ounces you are correct. Many of us on here, me included run much lower than that and requires much more venting. The information I regurgitated does not belong to me the 1 #2 per 20' I believe originated from JStar.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • kennyb
    As a update I got my hands on some dole a1 valves and the problem no longer exists and the rads heat up fast and make minimal noise