Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thermostatic versus motorized 4-way valves for heating loop temp control. Which way do you go?

BigRob
BigRob Member Posts: 322
I like that thermostatic valves are a simple solution. Have they been reliable for you? How long does the thermostatic element last with normal use?

I don't see much advantage of a motorized 4-way valve, except that you could modify the output temperature with the correct controller.

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Boiler protection comes for free with a motorized mixing valve.

Thermostatic valves work when the power is off, and some configurations will allow gravity circulation to protect (somewhat) a solid fuel boiler from runaway conditions.

As to longevity, ask me again in a decade or so. No failures yet, but it's only been a few years since we started using them.
    BigRob
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    if it is a condensing boiler then a thermostatic is a simple, affordable way to mix. If it is one zone a manual 3 way with the boiler on reset might work.

Motorized valves allow more user features but the cost of the valve, actuator, and control to drive it add up.

Really not much "under the hood' just a wax filled thermal pill to move the spool up and down.

If the fluid quality is good they last a long time, in DHW application hard water causes them to bind up, they need to be maintained, just like a tankless heater :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    BigRob