Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

how to clean?

maybemark
maybemark Member Posts: 1,131
edited December 2014 in THE MAIN WALL
what is the best way of cleaning a 100 year old system that is now converted from a gravity fed. It has some 3" pipes all the horizontals are 2" iron pipes, and 1" to the radiators.
I think i should clean the system, before i put my new whn-085 in.
I wouldlike to hear your opinions
thanks
mark

Comments

• RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Just flush the piping with fresh water and install a dirt/mag separator.
    http://www.caleffi.com/usa/en-us/catalogue/dirtmagr-dirt-separator-magnet-546306a

On this note, how has the Sorbox been working out?
  • maybemark
    Rob
    I already bought a dirt mag, I was wondering if there should be more done, before i instal the new boiler. I planed on flushing it about 3 times or so. Sould I pull out the old boiler when i flush?
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    I like to put the cleaner in the old system and let it circulate for 3-5 days. Then drain, install the new system and flush/fill. After final purging, I add the ProTek. Old boilers will have substantial amounts of sediment at the bottom. So will old radiators.
  • maybemark
    thanks Pul
    I've heard some like to put cleaners, other say, stay away from them. Acually, the distributor where i bought the boiler, doesn't even sell it. I thougth a cleaner too, but, i wonder now
  • maybemark
    sorry ,paul
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Same procedure here as Paul describes, sometimes even longer with the cleaner in there. The DirtMag will "burp" smaller and smaller slugs of rusty water over a period of weeks or even months. Be sure to remove the magnet first, and open the ball valve quickly and completely -- you want a fast purge without losing too much water.
  • maybemark
    I wasn't planning on using the dirt mag until i put my new boiler on. Shouldn't I try and clean as much as possible before I put the new one in?
    Swei, so, your a believer in cleaner also?
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    I have used Fernox F3 and F1 with good results.
  • maybemark
    but when do i do the clean out? I would think I don't want to do it when i have the new boiler in place
  • maybemark
    That Fernox is mostly sold in England, but I finally found a place. To be honest, I'm a bit scared of using a cleaner and making more of a mess inside my pipes . I don't if I should use it or not use it.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Rhomar Hydro-Solv has been good to us. Nobody stocks it anywhere nearby, so we buy the commercial version (1:250 instead of 1:100) to save on shipping.
  • maybemark
    I'm not sure, when to use a cleaner, when i have the old boiler in, or with the new boiler with the dirt mag in

my thoughts, i would hate to put particles in the new boiler, flush the system out 1st, maybe with the old boiler, or maybe take out the old boiler, make a loop with the old pum still there.
    I'm not proffesional, as you see, but I would hate to ruin that new boiler
  • maybemark
    I am sort of afraid i will be opening up a can of worms, if I use a cleaner in there.
    my head says, leave the old boiler on, just flush it with fresh water several times before putting on the new boiler,
    but you guys think i should use the cleaner, but when should it be used?
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    I used it on a TT ex. that was on it's second 3-way valve. The install was 18 months old. I used the cleaner and added the filter. Ran cleaner for close to week and flushed and then added the protector. 3 way valve works fine. [ it was not replaced ] Went back for a routine maintenance and cleaned out filter and water that came out looked like tap water.
  • RobG
    Unless something is out of whack I just do fresh water flush and dirt/mag. make sure and clean and check water quality/ph.
  • maybemark
    chicago water is 7.8 ph I did a test of the system water, and it was way over the highest level of my test kit. my kit only goes to 8.8, but it got there so fast, I am wondering if it's over 10 or more. But, this is before flushing the water
  • maybemark
    john, how old was the house with that TT?
    mine is between 90 and 100
  • maybemark
    I can not even find a place to purchase that Fernox, plus it scares me, that it will mess up my new system. I can see, all the scales falling off in big chunks that might have stayed on, if fresh water was used instead
  • RJMCTAFO
    RJMCTAFO Member Posts: 113
    The fernox is is not as aggressive as you picture. If the thought of cleaner scares you then do a good purge while the old unit is in. With the purge after new units and addition of a dirtmag you should be pretty well covered. I would then use some sort of protector.
  • maybemark
    rj,
    yes, I picture the cleaner as aggressive, but what do i know.
    even if I would listen to the people recommening Fernox, I can't even find a place to purchase it at
    Like i mentioned, the place I bought the boiler, does not sell any cleaner
    when you say ad a protector, is there a brand you have in mind?
  • RobG
    Just flush and clean the dirt/mag regularly until you are not getting any significant amounts of debris.
  • maybemark
    don't do anything, before i put the new boiler in?
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    Don't overthink this.

As I read it you should flush out the old boiler and system until it runs clean with the dirt/mag in place and keep cleaning the filter.

Then when you install the new boiler you won't have to contend with dirt from the old system.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • maybemark
    the dirtmag is still in the box, it's not installed. I should install it on the old boiler?
    all my pipes are iron, i bought a sweat fitting dirtmag.

Bob, still think i should do this?
    alot of work to put that dirt mag on
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    At the very least the old system should be flushed out several times till the water is clean. Try to get rid of as much of the old systems crud as possible.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    maybemark
  • maybemark
    bob
    that sounds good, with just fresh water, flush?
    someone talked about a conditioner, what do you think?
    thanks
    mark