Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Strainer mesh on new system

Tinman
Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
edited December 2014 in THE MAIN WALL
I used a 2" Jomar Filter Strainer on a recent new installation...new Lochinvar Knight, 3600' of 3/4" Rehau tubing for snowmelt and then the near boiler piping which was mostly copper that was properly reamed. This is a picture of the strainer after just 2 hours of operation. Most of what you see is metal chips and shavings. I was more than surprised at the amount of debris but really glad I used that particular strainer.
Steve Minnich

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,019
    That's not so bad? The important thing is that you checked it after the system was operated for a short time. Any strainer that is in the flow path needs to be checked after first start up, as it restricts the flow and could cause problems.

Seeing strainers like that and knowing how they can cause problem on flow sensitive equipment like mod cons and small HX boilers is why I believe dirt separators are a better option.

Separators will remove down to a 5 micron particle, much smaller than a stainer can remove, and not cause flow restriction.

Good on ya for installing one and checking it.

We used those Jomar devices just for start up, removing that basket after a week or so of running. More of a start up protection. Then hang the removed strainer basket on the ball valve handle to be used again if the system is ever worked on.

Early Heatway HydroControl panels had Jomar Filterballs on them, but not many installers or service techs knew the strainer was inside the ball like that.
    Whenever you have an inadequate heat call on early rubber tube systems, often times it was a plugged ball valve strainer.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Thanks Hot Rod. I really liked this Filter Ball Valve for this application because I could remove the strainer, clean it, reinstall it, lose maybe an ounce of glycol, and have it re-installed in less than 10 minutes tops.
    Steve Minnich