Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Anybody ever hear of this before?

Options
mars_6
mars_6 Member Posts: 107
Our natural gas provider in the Denver metro area is Excl Energy. Had a customer call them out to look at a new furnace install and they told the HO that he had 6% unburnt natural gas in his products of combustion while the furnace is running. Has anyone ever heard of a tester that will break out unburnt fuel at the termination of the exhaust vent? It's sure a new one on me. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Matt
Matt Rossi

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    No, never heard it expressed that way. I'd say he was trying to state that it was 94% efficient, but who knows. Did he leave a copy of the report?
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    I'm having trouble wrapping my head around that? A new form of incomplete combustion? I think Mark is probably on target.
    Steve Minnich
  • mars_6
    mars_6 Member Posts: 107
    Options
    It turns out that Bacharac has a device that will test the emissions from a exhaust vent from a apliance that functions simler to the emisions testing we get through the emisions testing we have to have done to our cars. Not a cheep tester at
    $ 10,000.00 a pop but yes it can be tested. Guess that was one of many things I was supposed to learn today. Go figgure.
    Matt Rossi
    wireman601
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    If you can learn something new each day, you will have a good day.

Guess you're having a good day.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    As my late pappy used to say" If you didn't learn something new every day, you were either A. Gone Fishin', or B., weren't paying attention… And if you WERE A. Gone Fishin' and you didn't learn something new, you B., weren't paying attention. I learn something new every day. :#
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
    Charlie from wmass
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    I wish I had a smart and insightful Pappy like yours.

Judging how many times a week my son calls me for advice, he must consider me like your Pappy.

Unfortunately (for him), it took him a long time to get to where he is today.

Or as I have shared, "I had to do everything I did, right or wrong, good or bad, to get to where I am today.

Or as my wife/his mother is fond of saying: "Life must be lived forward, but understood backwards".