Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thermostat Location

Options
bvaughn76
bvaughn76 Member Posts: 54
I just had central AC added to the second floor of my home. The house heats with single pipe steam (gas boiler). I had a Nest thermostat installed for the AC. I also ran two wires from the Nest to my boiler to allow me to control the heat through the Nest as well if I want to change. The thought process I have behind this is two fold. 1) I feel as if the first floor holds heat better than the second floor so it seems like I would want my heat turned on/off based on the upstairs temps, but then my concern is that downstairs will over heat. I was planning on seeing how that is going and adding some thermostatic air vents to my downstairs radiators if needed. 2) I could do two stats, but I hate the potential of simultaneous heating and cooling which is easily avoided by having one stat and I'd like to utilize the wireless technology to implement some strategies with my boiler (and I am too cheap to pay for the Nest twice over).

I plan on adding some other temp sensors in the home to implement some control strategies via my Zwave network based on what rooms are occupied and which temperatures are satisfied. Overall though, does it make sense to control the heat from the second floor stat or is it crazy talk?

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    You can put the thermostat where ever you like based on what works best for you. It sounds like you might have some imbalance in the system though. Perhaps it's not what is holding heat better, but where more heat is going? You would be amazed at what proper venting can do with a steam system. I recently changed our bedroom vent from a Gorton #5 to a #4 because it was getting too warm (according to my wife). I was able to change the average room temp by about 4-5 degrees with just that one change. That room is now perfectly in line with the rest of the house. I would try and fix the other issues you are having before I went and started moving thermostats. Get the system running properly, get your venting proper and then worry about the thermostat. Another word of caution is about the NEST on steam systems. Unless they changed something recently you can't control Cycles Per Hour (CPH) with the Nest thermostat. Steam typically likes 1 CPH so it gets longer run times. Without this control you could possibly get more on and off cycles than are necessary. There are a few people I have read on here using them on steam and like it, but most don't. Just wanted to mention that for something to keep an eye on. The bottom line (for me) on thermostats is use what works best for you in your situation, but always keep in mind how it effects the system you have it hooked to.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • bvaughn76
    bvaughn76 Member Posts: 54
    Options
    Yeah, I was going to dig into configuration options on the Nest. I had it before in my last home and found it to be convenient. I think the "Smarts" they market are overly hyped up nonsense. The whole "learning" thing was less than impressive.

Not to deviate from the main topic, but are adjustable vents a bad thing? Seems like all the experts talk about specific sized vents. I'm sure there is another thread on this.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    Vents can be a hot topic, I have had a couple different ones over the years (never adjustable) and I have settled on Gorton for everything. They aren't adjustable, but they are quiet....well they are silent. I can't even hear my main vents unless I put my ear to them. This is especially nice on the rad vents I don't even know my system is running. Some people swear by adjustable some don't. If you search the wall for topics on adjustable vents you could probably read some more about them.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15