Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

milky color water

don_9
don_9 Member Posts: 395
edited December 2014 in Domestic Hot Water
Hello to all n happy holidays.what can be the reason for milky color water coming out of the facuets? We installed a new rinnai combo boiler with an added 12 gallon ehw heater for domestic recirc loop.I can run the water in a clear glass n the color will go clear in the glass in about 15 seconds.I hear it is bc of the faucets fixture that cause the carbonated water effect. I am also hearing that the anode rod n type of water could cause some reaction to one another.Please school me on this issue.thanks in advance.

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    It will go away with time. Usually, a short time.

I've never heard a legitimate reason for it. It just seems to happen occasionally with some water and water fixtures.
  • don_9
    Thanks ice.you know how it goes murphy law always seem to be lurking around the corner with me.lol
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,512
    Probably micro-bubbles. That's what an air separator such as the Spirovent grabs. No harm; it just looks disgusting for a bit.
    Retired and loving it.
  • don_9
    No harm no foul.yay thanks Mr Holohan.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,272
    Hi: If the water is particularly conductive, it speeds up the anode rod, creating gas. Also, I've seen similar things happen when you have a well and an automatic air intake (for non-bladder type pressure tanks) or your water supplier is inadvertently letting air in at the well. Makes nice fizzy water!

Yours, Larry
  • icesailor
    I've seen it where none of the above reasons were the cause.

Ships happen to pass in the night. I've also seen it come and then go away. If the water is drinkable and you don't need Tums after a glass of water, drink the water or drink Micro-Brew beer.
  • don_9
    edited December 2014
    Opps sorry ice n larry often times i forget my manners.thank you for your replys.Let me say that with just the combo connected n no recirc loop connected there was no milky water.After all my discussion with the customer about her recirc loop that had steel circ on it,no timer or aquats on it n to me they are a waste of money and defeats the purpose of an on demand we did away with the loop.well no good deed goes unpunish she felt like waiting on five gallon of water to pass before it got hot was not acceptable.So we return and install a 12 gallon tank n circ.Then the milky water issue began.so gas n mico brubbles.That sound like my body after some mex food n fireball.lol.t
  • icesailor
    Does the recirc return to the tank? That should get rid of any milky bubbles.

Does it do it with the aerators in place? If you start to fill a bathtub, does it do it out of a tub spout?

Aerators. Spring Flo? With the three disk screens, the three screens go in first. Then the "hat" piece and then the washer. If you get them wrong, sometimes they act like a cow. Some really cheap plastic ones now will do it. The triangular slots in the "hat" should be visible through the slot in the aerator.

They stopped making the ones with the dope screens in them.

Ever notice that when you go into a public place like a Motel bathroom or a restaurant rest room, there aren't any screens in the aerators and the water splashes all over you? Its because people steal the screens to put in their dope pipes to keep harmful things out of their lungs.

I found that the newer plastic screened ones, the kind you can't take apart to get the sand out, tend to act like cows.

Something to look into.