Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Are you "Chop Cloc'ing?"

Don_197
Don_197 Member Posts: 184
Hi all,

Again I see discussions about building some kind of a time delay or duty cycling control of a boiler on the Wall. I just wanted to point out that I discovered a fast, inexpensive (free to wall posters right now.....until we inundate him) method for limiting the number of cycles your boiler goes through. Fred, the inventor, sent me one for free, and I hooked it up to my FA furnace, and limit it to only running 20 min out of every hour, and my house is still comfortable (this is a "simplified" version of how the Chop Cloc actually works). How can this be? Because the very nature of thermostats for controlling "comfort level" is flawed, which I discovered several years ago with my in ceiling electric radiant in my apartment. By limiting THAT system I saved HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS A MONTH and was almost always comfortable. I just wanted to mention what a great product this is, and for those of you that think you can save by limiting your heating system to a certain run time, or cycle, or run period, this is what you want. Go to www.chop-cloc.com for more info. (I am not affiliated in any way with this company btw)

Don

Comments

• vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    edited December 2014
    I don't see the "free" part and it seems to be sold in pounds sterling?
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    With a steam boiler, I would define any boiler cycle that delivers no steam or hardly any steam to the rads a short cycle.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    I still say it would work better if it knew about outdoor air temp.
  • Eastman
    Eastman Member Posts: 927
    edited December 2014
    The Chop Clock appears to be nothing more than an oversimplified cycle based stat.
  • Maybe I could put that on my car!--NBC
  • Don_197
    edited December 2014
  • Eastman
    Eastman Member Posts: 927
    edited December 2014
    Don, what happened to your radiant project???
  • Don_197
    LOL!! I started looking at cost vs "what I actually have in my pocket" and the numbers were backwards dontchaknow.......NEXT heating season I'll go after a new system (which p**** me off because I know til then I won't be paying with energy savings.....sooner I do it.....more I save kinda thing) So.....I'll take my pittance and paint the inside of the house, replace all the switches, outlets and covers, build a firepit in the back yard and get my patios new (saved from the salvage truck) freestanding gas stove up and running (talk about not being efficient!!)

Don