Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Home Alone

Danny Scully
Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,424
So I'm watching Home Alone, and the heating contractor in me can't help but wonder how this big old house is heated. I'm disregarding the fake furnace in the basement and leaning more towards something hydronic. Can anyone spot a rad?!
FranklinD

Comments

• FranklinD
    FranklinD Member Posts: 399
    That's hilarious. My wife and I are watching it with our 8 yr old twins, they've never seen it.

When he was in the basement, Gabby says "What was THAT thing?" about the 'furnace'.

I haven't spotted anything yet...
    Ford Master Technician, "Tinkerer of Terror"
    Police & Fire Equipment Lead Mechanic, NW WI
    Lover of Old Homes & Gravity Hot Water Systems
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/classified/realestate/ct-biz-home-alone-house-may5-photogallery.html

I spy cast-iron baseboard. Not sure if it's in the movie, though. The house is in Chicago, so you'd figure it would be steam or hot-water.
  • Danny Scully
    "Oh-Kay Plumbing and Heating" lol
  • Danny Scully
    edited December 2014
    Yea there is actually a real estate video on YouTube where you can see a free standing rad and the cast iron baseboard but it's more fun to try and spot it in the movie! ;)
  • When I see that kitchen with its restaurant quality stove , fridge, etc, I am reminded that those house owners never cook-only heat up!--NBC
  • FranklinD
    FranklinD Member Posts: 399
    I looked at some stuff online and found out that all the bedroom scenes and most basement scenes were shot on sound stages built in the local high school gym. So that's a bummer.

But yes, in one of the stairwell/hallway scenes I was sure I saw baseboards.

That's a heckuva house. Wowsa. I couldn't even afford the property taxes on that place. Beautiful, though.
    Ford Master Technician, "Tinkerer of Terror"
    Police & Fire Equipment Lead Mechanic, NW WI
    Lover of Old Homes & Gravity Hot Water Systems