Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

One thing I have learned about wi-fi thermostats

Coany
Coany Member Posts: 91
The ads show folks controlling their heating and cooling from the office or on the train.
I have discovered most people are using them from the sofa, or while lying in bed.
They don't show that on the ads.
" Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Teddy Roosevelt
vaporvac

Comments

• vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    That's hilarious! (But SO true!)
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • "If your chilly, you don't have to get off the couch to change temperature" is actually a main selling point I use, which helps their decision making process. Also relocating thermostat to basement and installing a remote sensor allows more decorating options (the ladys love getting the thermostat off the wall). image
  • bvaughn76
    bvaughn76 Member Posts: 54
    The best thing about the wi-fi stat is being able to set the stat back on those winter escapes to a warm beach somewhere and then turning the heat on when you get off the plane so you come home to a nice warm house. The only key is remembering to do so while fumbling with all your crap, kids, and finding luggage.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    It's beautiful.....We Americans need more ways to be able to sit on our arses. We can now turn the heat on while driving home, even. That way the house will be warm if we get released from the hospital. It's important to let Google know when you are getting home, or going to bed. That way they don't waste resources slamming you with advertisements. I almost farted, but I let the Flatulentotron 1000 do it for me. :wink:
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Things I learned about Wi-Fi thermostats:

If you install a zone in a cellar with no inside walls, you can mount it in a nice fancy finished board, and control what you want.

A Wi-Fi thermostat will travel through a plastered/radiant heat ceiling with copper coils, but a RIB wireless relay will not go through a floor or ceiling.

They are the nuts if you want to move a thermostat and have no way of wiring it.

If a thermostat of any kind is properly adjusted, when you think you need to raise the set point, you usually don't have e the energy to do so. About the time you feel the energy to do so, the burner starts. The same applies the other way. About the time you think it is getting too hot, when you finally develop the energy to get up and change it, the burner stops.

About three degrees. Learned over many years.
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Who's wireless sensor is that for a wifi thermostat. Looks like Honeywell but I don't remember a wireless sensor for their redlink wifi stat?
  • icesailor
    It must be in the thermostat and the receiver box.
  • tim smith said:

Who's wireless sensor is that for a wifi thermostat. Looks like Honeywell but I don't remember a wireless sensor for their redlink wifi stat?

Not a wireless sensor. Thermostat is Honeywell WiFI Vision Pro 8000 using remote indoor sensor. Both are wired. In this case, there were only two wires at old thermostat location and impossible to run new wiring to support wifi thermostat. Thermostat moved to basement near furnace, existing two wire used for sensor (which got painted to blend with wall), temperature changes etc. are done through smartphone or PC. I find the wifi vision pro and wifi focus pro are more in the average persons budget than redlink products. Also I don't like to rely on batteries.
  • icesailor
    Is there a battery in your Smart Phone?
  • icesailor said:

Is there a battery in your Smart Phone?

It is plugged into an outlet- next to the couch.
  • icesailor
    My comment was sort of pointed to most everything we use has a battery in it. The laptop I am using, the wireless mouse I'm using and the cellphone that that I just got a call from some woman calling from the Philippines who wanted to re-up my free subscription to Contractor Magazine and she spoke broken English. Why can't Contractor Magazine hire Americans in the USA (like in Tennessee or Kentucky) to do their telemarketing?