Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pipe banging

davidco
davidco Member Posts: 3
Since moving to new apartment I am going crazy from constant banging noise of one exposed thick pipe in the kitchen. It goes from floor to the ceiling and has a place where two pipes meet. If I kick the pipe it stops banging for 20 seconds and then continues. I know that would never be fixed but I want to isolate the pipe safely. What can you recommend so it will not burn/melt on heat and be able to completely muffle the sound? Thanks!

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    I am guessing you have steam heat?! If so that pipe is a steam feed to another apartment. You could try buying some fiberglass pipe insulation and putting it on to muffle the sound, but I think that would be a futile effort. The banging you are hearing might not be anywhere close to your apartment. The banging can resonate a long way. The problem is there is something wrong with the steam system for it to be banging like that. The only way to make it go away is for the landlord/owner to fix the heat. What is the landlord like to deal with?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    If it stops when being kicked, it might be expansion noise.
  • davidco
    It is steam heating but I also think it is expansion noise. It might be also because two pipes connect near ceiling and has large temperature difference. It seems it clicks every 3-4 seconds for most of the day. I tried temporarily wrapping my wife's yoga mats (thin ones) around but it did not do anything to lower the sound, it just prevents injury kicking the pipe :). It is rented apartment so I can not do anything permanent. There must be some trick. Please suggest something as it is driving me nuts. Because of darn regulation not allowing kitchen doors with gas stove inside I can hear it everywhere in my tiny apartment and TV is never loud enough.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    If it is happening constantly all day long I can't imagine it's expansion noise. Once the pipes expand that's pretty much it. IF it is expansion noise it's from the pipe rubbing against something. You would need to isolate the pipe from whatever it is rubbing against. For example many people have trouble with the pipe making noise against a floor opening and will slide a piece of plastic milk bottle between the floor and pipe. You won't be able to insulate the sound you or the landlord will need to figure out a way to eliminate the sound.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Condensate backing up in an improperly pitched pipe or at a fitting? Kick it and the condensate drains, then refills.
    KC_Jones
  • davidco
    It is the whole day as it apparently heats on max for an hour than turns off, and cycle repeats.
    I have realized it is actually in the ceiling above the pipe so there is nothing I can do. Thanks everyone!
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Could be a radiator above you pitched incorrectly. Ask the management company/janitor to check it out.