Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Mechanical room and adjacent home theater to warm.

Hello gentlemen, I have a particularly difficult problem I am trying to find a solution to. I have a mechanical room that has a Crestron- home audio visual racking system in a mechanical room that also houses a wine cooler condensing unit. the total combined BTUH generated is in the 24,000 BTUH of heat at peak run. I also have a home theater that is directly adjacent to the mechanical room that over heats when there are 9+ people in the theater. the theater is in the middle of the basement with sound proofing insulation surrounding it. I am looking for a system that is stand alone cooling with the capability of being ducted. I have a crawl space below the basement that is ventilated so I have a place to direct the condenser discharge air but cannot seem to find a stand alone unit that can be ducted both on the condenser side or ducted on the supply and return side of the cooling unit. I have no access to any outdoor areas that I could set a mini split condensing unit as the rooms are deep in a walk out basement. would anyone have a product that they have used that would be able to take care of this problem? Thanks much for any input. Matt
Matt Rossi

Comments

• Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    How about a "spot cooler" , they do need a supply and discharge duct for the condenser air.Only using a discharge air duct makes the room warmer. The crawl space is really vented? If using a minisplit, the copper lines can't be run thru the crawl space? I installed a mini split in a mechanical room that has 100% exposed/uninsulated copper line lines and a bunch of "electronics" including a Crestron setup. The HO is a GC and uses his mech room as a display for potential customers.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    I had a similar installation. I did a job where they dug out a water proof cellar behind an antique historical house. The cellar was divided into three parts. The side closest to the old house had a wine cellar, the middle was finished and a laundry room with all white painted cabinets. The last held the boiler and other mechanicals. The wine cellar had its "special" wine unit set in the wall between the wine cellar and the laundry. The heated air from the cooling unit blew into the laundry space. The wall between the laundry space and the utility space added heat to the laundry room. In the summer, the humidity was awful. Opening the cellar windows made it worse. They rented the house for a month for big bucks, The renters complained that they couldn't do laundry because it was so hot in the laundry room. They came to me with the quandary which I had warned them about when I finished the job.

The solution was a Mini-Split in the Laundry room. The compressor was just outside in a location where it wasn't noticed. The line sets snaked along the ceiling to wall space and boxed in. The renters came the next year and were happy. The owners were happy. The owners wine was at the proper temperature.

A Win-Win for all concerned.

Mini-Splits are a wonderful thing and are a God Send in old antique houses.
  • mars_6
    mars_6 Member Posts: 107
    That seems to be the only option I can find at this point. A mini split seems to be the only solution I have run across.
    Matt Rossi
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    In operation: They are simply marvelous.
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Movin cool has a ducted unit you could mount in crawlspace and duct condenser out and duct into mech room and media room. they are not real quiet but in a crawlspace you should be able to isolate sound. Here is link http://movincool.com/ceiling-mount-air-conditioners/cm25
    These units are not cheap as they are designed for server rooms. Will do a good job.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    Be nice to recover that heat energy that is already paid for and move it to a needed space or tank. Perhaps a air to water HX to preheat some DHW, or move the excess energy to a garage?

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream