Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Adding 2 zones of Hot water baseboard heat to existing 2005 Burnham Steam Boiler

Options
I'm a homeowner in need of guidance since the heating professionals we hired have not been able to resolve the malfunctioning boiler. We converted to a Gas Boiler heating system to service 1st & 2nd floor (steam radiators) and added forced hot water baseboard to Attic (zone1) and forced hot water baseboard to Basement (zone 3) when we added the hot water baseboard heat in the Attic and basement. Our heating issues started.

1. Loud Hammering and water thrashing noises in the Attic baseboard (Aqua Pex) when attic is calling for heat or when 1st floor calls for heat
2.On occasion when attic calls for heat, the 1st floor over heats
3. Basement baseboard has never worked.

Under the guidance of Plumbing & Heating professionals we have replaced numerous circulators, cleaning heating exchanger plate, then uninstalling heat exchange plate. We recently spent serious money having HVAC company re-pipe boiler to Burnham Specs as they believed was the root of the problem. Unfortunately issues persist. Greatly appreciate some guidance.

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    Not sure how much you have explored the wall, but here is a good article about hot water zones off of a steam boiler. You mention a heat exchanger, but unless I am missing something I don't see one in your pictures?
    https://heatinghelp.com/systems-help-center/how-to-run-a-hot-water-zone-off-a-steam-boiler/
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Both circulators in your photo have cast iron volutes. You need a bronze or stainless volute pump, preferably a 3-piece design (Taco 110, B&G Series 100, Armstrong S25) due to the high water temps.

The article linked to above covers it well.
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Agreed about the wrong circulators. They are also piped in a way that will allow steam-temperature water into their zones, causing water hammer.