Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

OLD Victory refrigerator gasket source?

vaporvac
vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
Hi everyone here. I have a very old SS 1940s Victory fridge with remote compressor that was probably custom-made to fit the space. It's in perfect working condition and uses a waxed fabric hollow-core gasket that wedges in the bakelite side panels. This is the only fridge I have. Unfortunately when I last had it worked on, they guesstimated incorrectly the size of gasket I'd need. It was expensive so I tried different DIY solutions until I finally gave up and ordered what I thought was the correct size. However, it too didn't fit as it is solid core and I need hollow.
Victory has been no help and I'm at a loss. This type used to be used commonly especially in walk-in units, and I can't imagine I have the only fridge that still uses them.
I'm attaching pics of the incorrectly sized hollow-core so you can see to what I'm referring. The other is of the solid core one and is to illustrate how it attaches. Thanks for any and all suggestions, especially if this is no longer available.
Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Can you find an automotive door seal profile that would work?
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    Hi @vaporvac‌

I'm not sure off hand but feel free to post on our forum. There is an other brands section just for things like this. My guess is Antique Appliances may have something similar but see what the others think. We have 169 members that are all into old refrigerators. :)

http://monitortop.freeforums.net/
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • vaporvac
    edited December 2014
    Well thanks you guys. Keep the ideas coming!I never thought of a car door seal. I've looked into oven gaskets, but they're too stiff and don't have the water-repellent finish.
    Thanks ChrisJ. I'll take a look at your forum. These gaskets were used on walk-in units too; that's why I thought folks here might know.
    Yeah. It's a proboards site. I'm big into the two Chambers stove sites there.

UPdate: So far none of the fridge sites have the proper thing. I'm really enjoying the forum, however! I still may post a ?. I think they were used in the old ice-boxes.
    SWEI, you are onto something with the car gaskets as many are hollow core. I think if I can find the correct diameter, I can just take out the one that's too large and snake the smaller one into the fabric sleeve I posted a pic of. Strange, too, because I've Googled hollow-core gaskets a zillion times and never got any hits. I could even try a self-adhesive D-style, if I can't find the correct size.
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Can you show the track it fits in?
  • vaporvac
    Hi icesailor! There isn't actually a track per se. I think the type of gasket shape is called "tadpole". If you look at the last picture you'll get the idea how it fits on the door.. One unscrews the bakelite sides, top and bottom and bit and slides the tadpole flange underneath and then tightens it back up again.

The fridge itself is basically a wooden insulated box (rockwool, I think) with a HEAVY stainless cladding. There's NO freezer.
    Thanks for the suggestion Eric. So far they don't have anything similar. They seem to be for more residential fridges with complicated gaskets that fit in a track.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    edited December 2014
    Later GE Monitor tops used this setup. The gasket slid under the strip and was held by it while earlier ones like mine have little barbs that stick into holes. I wonder if the gasket everyone uses on the monitor top would work on yours. For mine, I need to cut the extra bit off and glue it on using silicone because mine should have the one with the barbs, but I think for newer units it slides under the bakelite strips.

Actually, I think on monitor tops those strips were called "Textolite" and are closer to Formica than bakelite.

This is the reproduction monitor top gasket.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Monitor-top-GE-refrigerator-original-door-seal-/121072388050?nma=true&si=2eA6qn3N6BvDWUU6Jjmk7Nfry0k%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

That auction by Don is someone I've done business with quite a few times. He's a good man.

We also have a member Allan, that buys magnetic gaskets and uses those. I have that on my list for my next restoration due to cost and a magnetic gasket sounds nice even with the latch.

Our forum is a proboards forum, but I'm kinda wishing I never did that now. Keep running out of room and its a bottomless pit that I have no clue how, if even possible, to switch to a better custom forum. I did it originally because it was free but that didn't last long.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Try www.rhsc.net
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Try case Parts , http://www.caseparts.com/
  • vaporvac
    Thank you techman, but I'm not sure what's on that link. Unclejohn, my original (too large) and replacement gasket (solid core) came from Case. They don't carry a hollow-core anymore, apparently. I never thought to ask, so I wasted yet more money.
    They are a great resource; I did get exact replacements for my hinges and handles.
    Chris, I'm trying to enlarge that pic on the link. It might be an option if I can get a better look.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    I can't help at all, but wanted to ask something. Would you mind posting a picture of this refrigerator? I would love to see it.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • vaporvac
    edited December 2014
    Hi KC... check your messages.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    vaporvac, caseparts and rhsc are pretty much the same.
  • vaporvac
    edited May 2015
    Success!!!!! (Or at least heading in the right direction.) I know everyone's waiting on pins and needles for the resolution of this problem. NOONE makes what I need...it's all solid core. In fact, the one I originally ordered a few years ago ended up being solid core, as well. I just never looked inside.

@Swei was onto something with the automotive gasket suggestion. After a lot of searching I cam across Trimloc and got their samples of simple tubing, which upon arrival seemed too small. They are SO NICE! Nobody stocked the larger size I needed so they sent me a "sample" in the correct length. Can you believe that? Anyway, I ripped out the seaming in the old one, put the new tubing inside, sewed it back up and popped that baby in. Yeah!I can't hear a single thing from that door and there is NO moisture either. Only problem is I can barely shut it without huge effort. I now think I needed the smaller size. :( At least I can order that. I also can't find the matching gasket after 5 years :(:( ,so I'm on the search for coated canvas to make a new one. I'll update and post a pic when it's FINALLY complete. I'm sure someone, somewhere can use this info. :wink: Thank you everyone!!!
    SWEI
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Just for the heck of it, try a company called Gardico, they are a specialty gasket company. You might call them and then send a sample for them to locate a replacement. I will also call my refrigeration buddy who has been in the business since 1938. He just sold his company but worked on everything from marine ammonia, absorption, ice plants etc etc. I will see if he knows of where to get the gasketing.
    vaporvac
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    What about an extruded tadpole silicone seal, I saw one at gaskets inc, if you have not found yet you might take a look.
    vaporvac
  • vaporvac
    Thank you. I will follow up with those suggestions. Perhas your friend has some of what I need as NOS? I had a couple of local firms check that out, but no luck.:(