Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Installs in cold temps?

jonny88
jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
Hi all,so we are getting into cold temps.If for example your customer wants an install lets say a mod/con with multiple zones,indirect etc.For a small guy like me its not a one day job.How do you handle the customers downtime with no heat,Temp hot water can always be provided.Thanks.

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    I too am a one man show. The hot water thing is pretty easy. I just hook up a 30 gallon electric WH. Pex and sharkbite fittings to the piping. The boiler depends. If it and oil to gas situation the new boiler can go on the wall and then get everything piped and ready to go for the one big day to make the swap. I do have small electric space heaters. trying to time it for a warmer period helps.
    jonny88
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Bigger electric space heaters (240V) are a godsend. We have a Patron 9 kW and two 4 kW red boxes from Northern Tool that will get us through all sorts of glitches.
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Thanks I will look into Northern Tool.Last thing I need is a house freezing on me.Wasn't it Dan that said why do we do A/C in summer and boilers in winter?
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    Same here. Electric water heaters and space heaters.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    "" Wasn't it Dan that said why do we do A/C in summer and boilers in winter? ""

I can see that some just don't understand logic.

Poor planning on their part DOES constitute an emergency on OUR part.

Some think that most of us are just sitting around in warm houses or shops with our hands hanging over the phone waiting for their call so we can pick it up before the first ring stops.

After being told for years that their boiler was ready for a dirt nap at the recycling center.
  • Michael Welch
    Michael Welch Member Posts: 43
    I have pre fabricated some of our wall hung systems in our shop. We would have one worker the day before run the gas piping to a specific location. I would make up the new heating system in our shop label all the piping then take is apart and load it into a trailer. Setup time on site was approximately 30 min to an hour. We would have the customer up and running usually by 3pm. A lot of work on site with the electrician but never had a customer without heat.
  • Michael Welch

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200395481_200395481 looks like the ones we have, but ours are 4 kW.
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728

I have pre fabricated some of our wall hung systems in our shop. We would have one worker the day before run the gas piping to a specific location. I would make up the new heating system in our shop label all the piping then take is apart and load it into a trailer. Setup time on site was approximately 30 min to an hour. We would have the customer up and running usually by 3pm. A lot of work on site with the electrician but never had a customer without heat.

Sure is an impressive amount of work done in such a small time period. Looking at the job, I'd say that's a 20+ hour install.......for me anyway.

• Michael Welch
    The pre fabrication in the shop was about 6 hours and the in field 8 hours usually 2 guys. Everyone was set up the same so all I needed to know was the number of zones and my wall space available.