Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can I skim through pressuretrol port?

HarryL
HarryL Member Posts: 59
The installer didn't add a skim port on my Burnham Independence so I've never skimmed it and I doubt the it was done during install. Burnham does a great disservice to homeowners by not providing a nipple and leaving the skim port open. As shipped, the skim port appears to be optional. I've seen another post where the installer didn't pipe the skim port on these boilers.

Okay, so my rant is over, now my question. Is it worth trying to skim through the 1/4" port used by the pressuretrol. I need to remove the pressuretrol and clean out the pigtail as that hasn't been done and I think the pressuretrol isn't responding correctly. I'm also going to install a low pressure gauge to check the current pressuretrol before I likely replace it with a vaporstat. So, my thought is I would remove the pigtail and install an 8" nipple and skim before I replace the pigtail. This lets me put off until next spring to mess with getting the 1" plug out, which is not terribly accessible. Or, is 1/4" port too small to effectively skim this boiler?

Thanks,
Harry
Home owner, 1927 2-story, single family
1 pipe Burnham IN4I, Boston area
Brirob

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    1/4" is going to be too small. You need as large of a port as you can to skim. You can try it, but don't be surprised if it doesn't do much if anything. The manufacturer shows a skim port and it's up to the installer to be knowledgeable enough to hook it up. Which is the problem with steam, not enough knowledgeable people working on them. Bad install is a bad installer not a bad boiler. How old is the boiler?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    There was a thread a few weeks back where the guy was trying to skim through the gauge-glass port. That, as expected, also proved to be too small and a major source of frustration.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Waterbury Steam
    Waterbury Steam Member Posts: 53
    That guy was me. It didn't work. Don't waste your time trying--just get a proper skim port installed.
  • DanHolohan
    Thanks.
    Retired and loving it.
  • HarryL
    Thanks @KC_Jones I figured that would be the answer. I didn't come across the other posts of failed attempts in my search. Time to dig out the breaker bar and PB Blaster. :(
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    The boiler tapping for the pressuretrol on a Burnham Independence is 3/4". Remove the elbow for the pressuretrol and install a tee. Skim real slow it will work.
    HarryLBrirob
  • HarryL
    Thanks @Mark N! I didn't look / read closely enough to see that the pigtail is coming off of a bushing.
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    The skim port is preferable as it 1 1/4". But the other will work in a pinch. Like i said skim real slow, just a trickle.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    I have a Burnham also. I skim through the side mounted Pressure Relief Valve tapping which is 3/4". I put a Tee on it so it is always available when needed. Works fine as long as you skim very slowly.
  • DanHolohan
    Careful, Fred. That relief valve has to be right in the boiler.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    It was mounted upright on an elbow. I just replaced the elbow with a Tee
  • HarryL
    @Fred, I went merrily to the basement and pulled out my socket set, PB Blaster, and breaker bar to take out the bushing you mentioned, only to discover that the boiler jacket was tight against one side of the bushing. :( Looks like a bigger job to put off until I get more time. I also have the knock out popped off for L. Being a bigger tapping I suspect it will be much harder to get out so I think I'll try adjusting the jacket to get at the pressurtrol tapping as you suggested.
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    theres more than one way to SKIM a cat
    HarryL