Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hi Velocity System in Cold Climate?

Options
I moved into a house last year that is primarily wood heated. Two stoves one in the main living area and another in the entry way. There are two NG wall heaters in the same areas. Speaking to the original owners, they used the NG heaters to offset the wood stoves. My issue is I'm a shift worker gone for 2 days at a time, and my wife and young child are home full time. She doesn't trust the wood stoves and the NG heaters are very poor and costly at heating the whole house effectively. I have been looking into a new heating system, originally forced air furnace, but then stumbling upon the Hi Velocity systems while browsing this site. My question is; is this a good system to use as a primary heat source in a cold climate? It seems that it's primarily used for A/C in most installs, but that would be a extra benefit for me. I live in Central Alberta, CA, the house was built in 1978. It's 1600sqft, built on cement pilings. There is a open loft with two bedrooms. Any suggestions to what would be a effective solution is appreciated.
Cheers:
Josh

Comments

• Spence
    Spence Member Posts: 316
    Options
    There should be no comfort issues with a high velocity system in either heating or cooling modes, provided it is properly sized, the duct sizing is correct, and the outlets are placed at the approved locations.

One of the benefits of these units is the 2" ducts, which is an attractive option should you not have room or access for conventional air distribution systems. And don't forget that a boiler will serve nicely as well, especially if your need for air conditioning is not much of a factor.
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Options
    I would suggest that you look at upgrading your wall furnaces. I'm assuming you have some of the 60% efficient units with not very good blowers. A couple ES38 Rinnai's would ease your, and your wife's pain. Try one in the primary area. They are light years better than what you have.

Also, the first look should be to better seal up the envelope.