Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pre-packaged hydronic systems

Big-D
Big-D Member Posts: 21
I have heard from sales reps that make comments on how plumbing distributors have challenges or have objections with pre-packaged boiler systems? It would be interesting to hear what these challenges are. I would think the distributors would be thrilled to sell these types of systems as opposed to selling the individual components so long as their profit is equal or perhaps more. What are the thoughts with the professional contractors on The Wall? Is it old school thinking not caught up to the times, or does it come down to more control of the radiant design?

Comments

• RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    What is a pre-packaged boiler system?
  • Big-D
    Big-D Member Posts: 21
    My apology for the confusion. I am referring to the mechanical room in a box concept.
  • Docfletcher
    Docfletcher Member Posts: 487
    Oh, I think Uponor is one company offering the package.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    The "boiler room in a box" is a very good idea for those who have problems piping in a boiler correctly, or want to do an installation with minimum space requirements. They work exceptionally well if the correct box is chosen correctly. The labor savings is significant and they come with the correct control strategy. That they have a higher cost is seems to be the major issue. I'm not sure why, since most of the work is done...simply connect 2 pipes to the boiler and 2 to the system. Certain multi-panels will allow 2 temperature systems + an indirect DHW tank. With all the poor piping (and lack of proper controls) I see on many boiler systems it seems they would be a no-brainer.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    They would sell more if people would admit their limitations and realize that time is money.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    I would happily buy them if they came in sizes and configs I actually needed.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    That was always the issue with the early versions, so many different modules we're need to cover all the possible configurations. If you had time to wait they could be custom built for each job.

Some really nice ones built up in Canada still. Www.triplehhydronics is one.

Just be sure you claim and protect the space on the wall where they will mount. If another sub gets there first, you may have a problem installing them.

Some of them were really tough to get into for repairs and service, you needed the exact same parts and pieces to repair them due to the tight dimensions.

Watts Radiant does nice control panels where they spread the components on a large board instead of a box. Same concept, easier to service
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream