Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bedroom getting way too hot

Syco54645
Syco54645 Member Posts: 4
edited November 2014 in Radiant Heating
Hello,

We bought a house last year that has hot water heat. There are two zones, one is the basement and the other is the rest of the house. The basement has hydronic style radiators and the rest of the house has Baseray (which I prefer). The house has several additions as well. The issue is that when they did an addition for the master bedroom they added another radiator. This room now has two and gets very hot and stuffy in the winter while the rest of the house is a nice cool 65-68 degrees. What can I do to fix this issue?
Some more information on the system that we have. I cannot remember the brand of boiler but the temp is set at 160 (it was 180 when we moved in and the walls were scorched) and the pressure is 20 psi. We had a few leaking valves when we moved in (previous home owner let them rot the floor in two places too) but had them replaced via home warranty (good thing too because they quoted it as 1200 for 8 valves). The system is connected in such a way that each radiator is a T off of the supply and goes into the return via a T as well. So we can turn off each room without shutting down the entire flow. I have mostly closed the master bedroom but it is still getting very hot in there in the morning. We have a Nest thermostat and it is programmed to go down to 65 at night and back up to 68 in the morning. During this time is when we are having the most issue. Though the bedroom is still hot over the night.
Does anyone have any ideas on this? I would rather not crack a window but will if we have to.

Thanks

-Frank

ps sorry for the wall of text.

Comments

• ww
    ww Member Posts: 282
    could be the two radiators seem to be too many...have you considered taking one radiator out of the loop? maybe with the one radiator in the previous owners were too cold and put another one in that was too big.

the room was made bigger so maybe the extra radiator was oversized or they wanted the same size put in so it would fit in and not look out of place. so if you do this check the figures on radiator size in relation to the room size to get the proper radiator size...

get the edr info on the two radiators in there now and go through the calculations to see how it works out mathematically.

it seems like everything else is working great in the system other than that...i put a smaller radiator in a room which i'm not using too much at this time and it worked out fine.

of course i could do all this work myself so if things don't work out i can always put them back.
  • David Nadle
    David Nadle Member Posts: 624
    You should look into adding thermostatic radiator valves (TRVs) to both radiators in the bedroom. They will keep the radiators completely turned off whenever the room is too warm.
    RobG
  • Syco54645
    I forgot to mention that the two radiators in the bedroom are really just one pipe that goes through two different radiators. I have read about the TRVs and will look into them. That could work out perfectly.
  • David Nadle
    From a control point of view that's even better. Only one TRV per room is good.
  • Syco54645

From a control point of view that's even better. Only one TRV per room is good.

But I would have to remove the existing (and new) valve and put in a new one? Do they make any that I could solder into the pipe below and just run the temperature probe into the room? If not I will need a spud wrench. Either way will have to wait till next spring probably.
  • Eric_32
    Eric_32 Member Posts: 267
    TRV will be the best way
  • David Nadle
    To do it right you should replace the valve.
  • Syco54645
    edited January 2016
    So finally ready to tackle this project (winter is rather mild here so far) can anyone recommend a place to order TRV and perhaps a few good ones to get? I see there are many different types and I assume that not all are created equal.