Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Do I need balancing valves with a residential reverse return system?

Do I need balancing valves with a residential reverse return system?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Is this a new piping project, or are you having a problem with an existing system?
    steve
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    If you are installing radiators, balancing valves are generally part of a standard combined valve/fitting assembly that typically costs about $20.

Reverse return piping is always a good idea -- and on a typical perimeter radiator layout it requires no additional time or materials. If your layout truly makes reverse return impractical, TRV's (assuming they are installed on every radiator) will compensate for the pressure differences in a direct return design.
  • It's a new piping project. If I get creative I can probably do reverse return, however it's inconvenient. I'm installing Runtal wall rads; here's a Runtal kit with a TRV, but don't know what the other piece is?
  • Looks like the other valve is a shutoff. Does this suffice for balancing, or is a special balancing valve required?
  • I need to backup and make sure I understand what type of valve is suitable for balancing a residential 2-pipe radiator system. I'm installing Runtal rads. Runtal sells decorative lockshield valves to be installed on the outflow pipe of their radiators. Is this valve suitable for balancing a multi-rad system where all rads have the lockshield valve?
  • Bump. Seems like few if any logged in to this site?
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    The lockshield valve you pictured is suitable for both isolation and balancing. Whether it's the right choice for your system depends .
    bob