Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

STEAM BOILER PILOT LIGHT WONT GO OUT - WONT RUN ANOTHER CYCLE IF LIT

Options
Hello all and thank you in advance for any help/direction at this point, and taking the time to read my thread.

I have a steam boiler Weil-McLain model LGB-7. I have had countless repair guys look at it and need to pin point the problem so I am reaching out to anyone who can help!

There is a spark box/automatic ignition and my pilot light is not going out after it runs a cycle. Therefore not calling for heat since the pilot stays lit. For example I have to turn the boiler off, blow out the pilot light, turn power back on and it fires up with no problem, runs its cycle and then when it comes time for heat again it will not start up due to the pilot light staying on. Please chime in if possible.

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    What attempts have been made to fix the problem? Could be a bad gas valve, leaking through the pilot valve.
  • MYOHIOPPM
    MYOHIOPPM Member Posts: 3
    Options
    JStar said:

What attempts have been made to fix the problem? Could be a bad gas valve, leaking through the pilot valve.

I believe that is it but I do not have a background in HVAC but understand the basics. We replaced the valve last year that is on the right in this picture below, the one I am pointing to is the one that has the line connected for pilot. So not sure if that is it and its getting stuck. Could the top part of this valve be taken apart and possibly cleaned easily? It appears to be a 2 part valve so just willing to try anything at this point.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm pretty familiar with the LGBs. The pilot solenoid should have a gascock installed right before it. You can use the gascock to turn the pilot off if you need to. Test for voltage at the pilot solenoid when the voltage should be off. If there's voltage there and the boiler is not attempting ignition, replace the ignition module. If there's no voltage at the solenoid, and you have a pilot, replace the pilot valve.
  • MYOHIOPPM
    MYOHIOPPM Member Posts: 3
    Options

I'm pretty familiar with the LGBs. The pilot solenoid should have a gascock installed right before it. You can use the gascock to turn the pilot off if you need to. Test for voltage at the pilot solenoid when the voltage should be off. If there's voltage there and the boiler is not attempting ignition, replace the ignition module. If there's no voltage at the solenoid, and you have a pilot, replace the pilot valve.

Correct there is one right before the valve. I will check that next, and that will save me from blowing out the pilot each time. :D Since the spark box was also replaced last year along with pilot assembly I am guessing this is it and the last new part on this old boiler, THANK YOU FOR THE REPLY!!image