Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What do you think?

Options
A new customer just called .They have a RIF(reach in freezer) that was worked on by their "in-house" repair guy. Upon start up of the RIF there was a cloud of smoke. And then I was asked "what do you think?" I think I want to send your in-house guy a "Thank You " card. LOL.

Comments

• RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    Don't thank him until you actually get paid. It sounds like it's a restaurant?
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Options
    Got paid. Thanked him. Hotel/restaurant.
    RobG
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options
    Ha Ha!! Don't ya love those inhouse guys.

I fixed one job where the inhouse guy wired line voltage controls with 18awg thermostat wire. He also managed to destroy an electronic temp controller. I'm surprised he got enough power through that skinny wire to burn it out.

Harvey
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    But think of all the money saved with the in-house fix-it man.

Its the American Way, CHEAP.

I bought a new car yesterday. I drove into a dealership in the pouring rain. 6 guys were standing on a porch under an awning. As we drove up, one guy ran up (in the rain) and wanted to help us. No one could have gone farther to sell us a car that we wanted. Which he did. My wife asked him about himself and why he was working so late. He was a "Trainee", paid minimum wage per hour, and expected to work 7 days a week, for at least 10 hours per day. No days off. For a minimum of 3 months. He gets no commissions on anything he sells, but anything he does sell, they take part of the commission he would have earned and apply that to the minimum wage they have been paying him.

To MY narrow minded way of thinking, that's free slave labor.

They should be taking his minimum wage pay out of the five lazy ice cream cones that were afraid they might melt in the rain.

Its the American Way.
  • SherlockOhms
    SherlockOhms Member Posts: 13
    Options
    My Uncle sold Lincolns his entire life, he was fairly well off too!
    I know the mechanics took schooling and continued education in addition to certifications and yearly updates and make much less than the salesmen, I was a bit surprised to learn this.
    In sales the hours required are long, it is a matter of numbers, if you, are not there you will not sell anything.
    At least they were paid every hour worked, I drove Class A trucks
    in my 20's for a few years in Calif, However our company had 1 truck that went to Nevada occasionally therefore they were able to pay by the Federal standard which then was no overtime regardless of hours worked and only 3.5 hours to unload regardless of how long it took and some stops actually took 2 days! the 1st day often you would be in the street waiting to get on the property! Safeway Richmond! Some trucker b urned it t the ground! My 1st time I had a 2 pm appointment and it was about Noon, I see trucks outside the property and go ask the lead truck what time his appointments for, 3pm he says, and I am freaking out in my head! then he ads YESTERDAY!
    These were non palletized floor loads of Proctor & Gamble soap etc in 48 ft and 53 ft trailers 50,000 lbs of freight and you had to stack it on pallets according to their standards say 8 per layer and 6 lyers tall and alternate the pattern each row, then they count it and take it away 1 pallet at a time!
    I made $9 an hour never overtime and often spent 2 days getting paid for 3.5 hours or if I came back with my load I was fired!
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    There are some in Washington, and more on the way, that feel you were grossly overpaid for what you did, mostly sitting down, and if you were doing the same job today for the same money, you were still grossly overpaid.