Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

sluge in oil tanks what can I do?

Options
JACK_41
JACK_41 Member Posts: 1
HEY JOE I HAD AND STILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM.HAD A COMPANY COME IN AND CLEAN THE TANK.IT DIDN'T WORK IN TIME THE SLUDGE CAME BACK AND I'M BACK TO REPLACING FILTERS EVERY TIME I GET OIL.

Comments

• Joe.G
    Joe.G Member Posts: 213
    Options
    sluge in oil tanks what can I do?

I have 2 275 oil tanks in my basement, everytime I get fuel i have to leave the boiler off for a while or they will clog up the filter and nozzle. I change the filter a few times a season know just to be safe and it is always dirty. If you stick a rod in teh tanks you can feel the sluge. Is that stuff you add to the tanks any good? what can I do the tanks are about 20/30 years old thanks
  • Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
    Options
    Mmmm...

You might consider how cheap new tanks are, and rather than mess with a mess (pun intended), cut your losses and do it right.

You might even get away with re-using all the old fill and vent piping, if they're still code compliant - and likely are. Re-use the old legs for sure.

Replace anything that looks funky. Unfortunately, the tanks will have to be cleaned before anyone will accept them as iron. Typically, we have to cut the tanks in half with a Sawzall to clean the junk out. Run 'em dry, have the two replacements lined up and a call in for oil.

One long day tops for two men with a clue.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • burnerman_2
    burnerman_2 Member Posts: 297
    Options
    sludge

there are company's that can clean your tank but if it's 20-30 years old i also recomend replacement if u have a good company do the job they will remove your old tanks as others will say try to use the tank til it's empty we used to pump out the tank and reuse now we try and let it run empty tanks are exspensive but so are servicecalls royboy
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options

You could pipe a new sution line into the top of the tank and keep it several inches off the bottom. Not a permanent fix but it could by you some time if you can't replace the tank(s) now. Install a couple of good filter in the new line.

Ed
  • Joe.G
    Options

What about getting them cleaned out?
  • Maynard
    Maynard Member Posts: 74
    Options
    Sludge

Install A Scully Snorkel Gage In One Of The Oil Tanks. Hook Up Oil Line To Same. Pulls Oil Off The Top Of Oil Level Instead Of The Bottom. I Would Install It In The Tank That Fills Second...Might Not Be As Much Sludge Movement On Deliveries.
  • Joe.G
    Options

How did they clean the tank? how much was it?
  • burnerman_2
    Options
    filters

since the trouble is sludge try this shut one tank after u have them filled and use the one tank after u are almost out put in 10 gallons of kerosene and use til u run out then close this tank now and repeat u may want to put a few gallons of oil in the first tank so after u run the second tank out and put in the kerosene u can use it til u get a delivery kerosene is a good cleaner and will not hurt your furnace try this much cheaper than new tanks a little work but u can do this yourself also add a second filter at the pump if u r getting plugged nozzles filters r cheaper than nozzles royboy
  • burnerman_2
    Options
    filters

since the trouble is sludge try this shut one tank after u have them filled and use the one tank after u are almost out put in 10 gallons of kerosene and use til u run out then close this tank now and repeat u may want to put a few gallons of oil in the first tank so after u run the second tank out and put in the kerosene u can use it til u get a delivery kerosene is a good cleaner and will not hurt your furnace try this much cheaper than new tanks a little work but u can do this yourself also add a second filter at the pump if u r getting plugged nozzles filters r cheaper than nozzles royboy
  • John@Reliable_14
    John@Reliable_14 Member Posts: 171
    Options
    Try this..............

Triple filtration! Start at the tanks, twin tanks together using ½” pipe to equalize them, now with just one supply to burner add a B-4 filter without the element (this is now a sludge pot to catch the heavy sludge), next comes a B-4 with a standard element, connect to line to burner, last is a Westwood or Garber spin-on filter at the burner with a vacuum gauge so you know when it’s time to service.
    This will work better than anything to keep the pump/nozzle clean with old tanks. Best would be to replace the tanks, be careful about “cleaning” old tanks, most start to leak after the cleaning as the sludge was sealing them. Good luck
  • Joe.G
    Options

So if I where to run a few tanks of kero though it it should clean the tanks out? instead of doing it the way you said could I just fill up the tanks with kero? what is the price diffrence between kero and fuel oil usaly? thanks
  • Maynard
    Maynard Member Posts: 74
    Options
    oil tank

I Would Be Very Careful About Cleaning Or Disturbing Sludge In Bottom Of Oil Tank. A Lot Of The Time The Only Thing Standing Between The Tank Leaking Is The Coating Of Sludge.
    Perfect World...Install New Oil Tank...Fill With Fresh Oil...Done!
  • Joe.G
    Options

Do you have links to those tpy of filters so I can see what they look like and a place where I could order them? thanks
  • John@Reliable_14
    John@Reliable_14 Member Posts: 171
    Options
    Joe, look here.............

westwoodproducts.com What you need is (two) F-84's , (one) F-100 and (one) F100-14 along w/new piping
  • Chas_2
    Chas_2 Member Posts: 104
    Options
    joe g

Just a story had a HO with old tank like yours ,used to change filers all the time he was advised to change out tanks for years and did not head the words end up the tanks bottom started to leak by the time he noticed it the epa and a clean up crew where there about 35,000 dolars later he's got a new tank advise if your tanks are that old why not replace before you have bigger promblems like not retiring and working to pay off the clean up would you drive a20 to 30 year old car daily with old brakes or tires ,avoid the bigger ticket andget your tanks replace use roth and a single pipe system with a tiger loop re circ oil with a 2 pipe system is old bag filtering up to 18 gph why just filter what you burn and with atiger loop no vacume promblems assicated with single pipe and your burner thinks it's a2 pipe just advice take it for what's it worth free cheaper then fuel spill clean up peace and good luck clammy
  • Edward A. (Ed) Carey_3
    Options
    Looking for answers

Joe,

You have a very old tank. You have a lot of sludge inside, some if which is the interior of your tank that has already been eaten away over time.

If you try to put extra filters on, or the like, you are tripping over dollars to reach for pennies.

You don't want to hear this, but you must replace that tank NOW. DO NOT pump ANY of the fuel from your tank into that new tank.

You may be saying “But I can’t afford to replace the tank now". You are looking for the least expensive answer, and that answer could cost you more than you could ever imagine.

You may wish to take a close look at your homeowner's insurance policy. Many have limitations and sometimes total exclusions for coverage of a fuel oil release. Which means the applicable GOV Agency will simply HAVE THE CLEAN UP DONE, and hand you the bill, PERIOD. Not your choice.

Remember one thing. I do not know you. I will never make money from your replacement of that tank. I probably do not know whoever you will use to put in the new tank.

I am just passing along over 36 year of experience to you, and the memories of people who lost a whole tank of fuel on the floor, and said "I wish I would have changed that tank before THIS happened".

Good luck,

Ed Carey

• Emmette518
    Emmette518 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    I have a 60 year old tank that suddenly started throwing sludge into the Beckett burner. Since it's November, the thought of dealing with draining down an oil tank with cold weather just around the corner didn't sound like a good idea. Further, no one would guarantee chemical treatments or cleaning. The outlet of the tank was an inch above the bottom, so I'm sure that 60 years of oil finally deposited enough sludge to reach the outlet pipe.

So my solution (which has worked so far) was to install a Scully Snorkel in place of my old fill gauge. It wasn't very expensive to buy, and it was easy to install. I capped the outlet at the bottom of the tank (didn't trust the 60 year old valve not to leak), and moved the PurePro filter to the top of the tank. I also added a Gar-ber screw on, oil filter style filter right before the burner. Replaced the old filter with a new element, replaced the pump screen, replaced the nozzle, and flushed out all of the lines. Once I fixed a minor adjustment issue with the Suntec pump (it would prime but not pass oil through the pump), we were good to go. So far, the burner is still working 24 hours later (whereas the last filter change plugged in 12).

The Scully Snorkel is pretty simple, and seems reliable. The only thing that could possibly go wrong is the plastic feed tube could deteriorate, but replacing that would be a piece of cake.

Not suggesting leaving a rotting, leaky tank in place by using this solution, but mine seemed solid. Just needed a way to get the feed off the bottom, and out of the sludge.

Finally, I called Beckett, and after giving them the model and specs on my boiler, they gave me the specs on the recommended nozzle. .85 GPH, 80 Degree, B cone. The oil company had installed a 1.1 GPH, 80 Degree, B cone. It's probably a good idea to check the nozzle to insure that the wrong one hasn't been installed. Not sure if this was wasting fuel, but it was sure cooking the boiler with a very hot flame.

Emmette.

• Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    Nothing like reviving a 7 year old thread.....
    Honda1000
  • Emmette518
    Emmette518 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    I searched for hours on the web for a solution. Figured that someone might benefit from my research. If someone had posted something like this, it would have saved me a ton of time.

And there's not much out there in the way of reviews on the snorkel product.

Isn't the whole point of these kinds of forums to share information, and help people?
    Honda1000
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    Absolutely! It's just easier if you start a new thread on the subject.
    Honda1000
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    Emmette, thanks for the tips, ignore abracadabra, it will may help someone. But in reality, a 60 year old tank should be replaced. Does your insurance company know its 60 years old?
    steve
    Honda1000
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    The sludge forms from a bacteria that feeds off the oil. If you just recycle the oil, you will have new oil contaminated with old bacteria. There is bacteria in the new oil from the supplier. Each and every fill has the possibility of fresh and new contamination.

The sludge sticks to the sides as you drain the tank of product. As you fill the tank with fresh oil, it covers the old sludge and puts it back into the new oil.

You can change old tanks and you should. But the oil will be back with the sludge.

Those "Sludge Pots" (B4's with the filter left out) remind me of changing diapers when my children were very little and in diapers. The sludge has the same consistency as baby poo.

Or, why I only used two spin-on's. When the vacuum gauge at the burner went up, it was time to change the filter at the tank. I never had a dirty filter at the burner.

I've posted here what totally sludged Garber Spin-Ons will look like, and still not pass sludge. The burners were running, and so was the next filters down the line.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    Time for new tank and a new supplier. Sounds like he is delivering with his defueler truck.
  • billtwocase
    Options
    I will also add that we stopped using those years ago. The tube would indeed crack and suck air. Nice thought anyways
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    All oil came by barge from the terminal in New York or Providence. The barge carried every type of products. Mobil gave free additives with every load.
  • billtwocase
    Options
    Back in the day, Texaco was as pure as the driven snow. Before dye it looked like Kero. We pull out of Sandwich. A lot of sludgy tanks and trucks floating around out there