Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

oil furnace

sparkie
sparkie Member Posts: 49
Hi everyone!
Has anyone had any experience with a Regal Star oil furnace? Any info would be helpful.
Thanks

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    I have no personal experience with the Star, but Boyertown products are OK.
  • sparkie
    Once again, I thank you Bill. Within the past month, 3 of my friends had oil furnaces fail. I myself have a 28 year old Williamson. Ive been doing research as to what I would install when the time comes. I was leaning toward the hallmark, but Boyertown doesn't make it any more. Now its the Regal and the Regal star. Ive also been looking at Trane/American standard, Lennox and Carrier.
  • sparkie
    So much has changed in the years since I was out in the field doing wiring on these things. All the new technology can make your head spin. As always, thanks. I very much value your advice!
  • billtwocase
    edited November 2014
    You are welcome sparkie. Is there a problem with your Williamson? That was a good era, as any era was for them. If so, the new Williamsons are among the best, my opinion. Between them and Thermopride, The heat exchanger is bulletproof. Hallmark was improved, so that could be a contender, but the latter brands, eh.
  • sparkie
    I did not realize that the Williamson was still a good bet. Ive heard that since Thermoflo bought the name , they were not as good as they used to be. One of my 3 friends who's furnaces crapped out, had a new Williamson installed. The other two went to gas. And as I said, the Hallmark is no longer made, but the Regal and Regal Star by Boyertown seems a good choice. There is no gas where I am, but I would not change over anyway. People think Im nuts, but I still love my oil! My Williamson is running just fine, but I want to update my knowledge of what is what today--just in case. To sum it all up, if one were to choose a new Williamson or a Boyertown Regal, they would be getting a good piece of equipment. Since I no longer can do the work myself, Id have to find a good installer--another subject altogether.
  • billtwocase
    You said a mouthful sparkie. It is usually all about the installer. If he can convince you to instal his high quality, high efficiency equipment, and you can put your hands on him when there is an issue, that is key. If not, then keep looking for someone else. Unless your oil tank is in need of replacing too, you will not get your $$$ back anytime soon by converting a warm air over to gas. Especially where you are probably averaging about 400 gallons a year?
    JMHO
  • sparkie
    Right on the money Bill! (no pun intended) 400 -450 gal a year. Tank is fine, all lines are fine, ducts are fine. just take out the old temp o matic and put in a new one. That's will be it for my lifetime. Makes me nostalgic for the coal fired steam I remember as a kid in Scranton LOL
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    My boss sold oodles of Willies back in the day. The one in our office was still going strong at 30 years old but the tank sprung a leak. After Metzger bought them, we sold a few. I think we stopped after getting one with an improperly made heat exchanger that cost us a bundle to diagnose & fix. Rare to sell oil around here now anyway. Usually use Allied (aka Lennox) or ICP which is Carrier and made by a former UTX owned firm in Canada, Dettsen. Haven't tried a Trane, which is a lower end version made by Thermopride.