Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Electricity use/cost maps by state

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Another bogus Puff Piece put out by the Lords of the Energy Providers to get consumers to feel like they might be getting a good deal.

Nowhere does it say that the only true way for an individual to get the true cost per KWH is to divide the cost of the electricity for a month, the number at the bottom of the bill that the Robber Baron's demand that you pay by how many KWH's you used in the period that the bill covers.

The one true fact shown is the issue of "Coal States" have high electrical rates. Because it cost so much to get it, burn it, dispose of the waste, and treat the destruction after they mine it.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    I realize that ice tax,title,and license not include. Just a gauge a lot of times the debate of boiler fuel source comes up with the op considering electric.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    edited October 2014
    I'm sure that you do understand the issue. My annoyance is when utility companies (and gas companies do it too), give you a price on the cost of the fuel when you have gotten to the end break point and never discuss all the added fees that are part of the bill to get to the total. So, they compare it to say, the price of oil or Propane, a set price per gallon, delivered to your tank with no additional charges.

The gas or electricity that you get at the beginning of a calendar billing month cost far less than it does at the end of the month. And the first of the next month, they get a rate increase automatically. Anything you do to save energy is given at the end of the month.

If you buy oil from A-1 Discount Oil that only sells for cash or credit card with a 100 gallon minimum, and a $10.00 per fill up discount coupon, maybe the tank lasts 3 months before you fill it again. But the price you paid for the oil doesn't change until you but more oil. Its my Pennies in a bucket theory. Only you can't calculate electricity or Natural Gas because it changes all the time, the more or less you use.

I was told on more than one occasion, by people that I respect and trust, that in the "Energy Crisis" of 1973, when Boston Gas convinced so many people to switch to gas, and gave rebates up the @$$, that in the 2000's, some still hadn't saved the money to pay the difference that they had paid for the conversions. During that time, where I lived, the electric company wanted to corner the energy market and wipe out the oil market. They advertised electric heat and hot water at $0.015 per KWH or a cent and a half. You could get the rate if you changed to a metered electric water heater. If the whole house was electric, you got one meter and the WH was on a time clock. I used 750 KWH to 1,000 KWH per month pumping water and 6 people living in the house. My bills were always over $400.00 per month. How does that compute at $0.015 Per Kwh? The first 5 KWH on the bill was $5.00 ($1.00 Per KWH). At 1,000 a month per KWH used, my bill should have been $15.00. No one I ever saw had a bill like that.

A little Truth in Advertising please.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    another interesting look at gasoline prices worldwide
    http://www.bloomberg.com/visual-data/gas-prices/20142:United States:USD:g
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • FranklinD
    FranklinD Member Posts: 399
    They're a bit off for me...after fees and whatnot are calculated in, I pay 10.2 cents per kWh.

Where they really get us is water. Which always interested me given that we live on the shore of the biggest freshwater lake in the world (by surface area). A frien of mine in St. Paul pays half what I do.

We pay $5 per CCF. My family of 5 averages 5 CCF per month. We are way under the national average from the research I've done. So $25. After hydrant fees, fire protection surcharges, and so on, my monthly bill is around $58. We have the distinction of having the largest full-time, fully-staffed fire department in the state (based on population). We have 27,000 people and 40 full time fire fighters and 3 fire halls. They respond to every 911 call for medical help simply because the 12-15 structure fires a year aren't keeping them busy...though they always beat the (privatized) ambulance service to the scene. Not trying to put them down but holy crow...it gets expensive.

We buy our electricity from MN, Allete Energy I think it's called. Natural gas too. And boy, does the price on that fluctuate wildly month to month. I finally got on the budget billing program just because they were failing to read meters every month and I got some whopper bills due to 3 months of 'estimating' readings.

Sorry. Rant over. Interesting map, tho.
    Ford Master Technician, "Tinkerer of Terror"
    Police & Fire Equipment Lead Mechanic, NW WI
    Lover of Old Homes & Gravity Hot Water Systems
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    I'm sure the are state wide averages
    FranklinD
  • FranklinD
    FranklinD Member Posts: 399
    Must be. Regardless...seems the prices of everything are skyrocketing.
    Ford Master Technician, "Tinkerer of Terror"
    Police & Fire Equipment Lead Mechanic, NW WI
    Lover of Old Homes & Gravity Hot Water Systems
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    I'm just south of Boston and we pay about $0.165 per KWH, including all fees. My usage is about half what that article claims. We have been told that is going up 37% next month because of the natural gas shortage caused by having too small a pipeline serving the northeast.

They are hiking the electric rates and keeping the gas rates about the same to encourage people to use less juice and make the gas available for home heating. That does not stop the gas company from trying to convert those still on oil.

I remember a friend of my sister who built a brand new split level ranch with electric heat in 1971. The the oil spike hit a few years later his bill went right through the roof. He got caught turning his electric meter upside down and got a stiff fine for his trouble. He installed a propane fired boiler the next summer - he was a propane salesman.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    I live in Monmouth County, NJ. My latest electric bill is:
    • Customer Charge 2.20
    • Basic Generation Service: 241 KWH x 0.099295 23.93
    • Delivery Service Charges 47 KWH x 0.007234 0.34
    • 194 KWH x 0.007680 1.49
    • 241 KWH x 0.029917 7.21
    • -------

but they also add an additional customer charge from my alternate energy supplier of $4.82, so my real bill is $38.99, so electricity for me is $0.1618/KWH.