Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Adding cast iron baseboard to a room

Options
mid654
mid654 Member Posts: 1
I currently have a room that measures 22' X 13' with a ceiling height of 9' 6.5". I have three outside walls in the room. One wall has a cast iron radiator in the room against an outside wall. There are two other outside walls with no radiators against them. Looking to add cast iron baseboard radiators for a one-pipe system. How much btu's do i need on each wall to heat the room adequately? Thanks for your help.

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,477
    Options
    You need to do a heat loss on that room to determine what you need.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    RobG
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Go to the Slantfin boiler website, where you will find the software for calculating heat loss, as well as a radiator sizing chart.
    If no radiators have been removed, I would say that you have enough radiation to keep that room warm, as long as there are no temperature setbacks off less than 24 hours duration.
    It's possible that your system is unbalanced, and this radiator gets steam later than the others, so check your pressure and main (not rad) venting.
    If you don't already have it, the "Lost Art of Steam Heating" available here will give you the information necessary to reduce your fuel bill, and increase your comfort.--NBC