Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Expansion rate?

The expansion rate of water is , 1700 to 1, as in steam boilers. I wonder what the rate is for freons, at the ranges of AC, med & lo temp refrigeration.? Lets say for r22 & r410a.

Comments

• Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    edited October 2014
    Thanks JStar. I think I have some thinking to do to understand all of those #'s and formulas, but, such is the quest for knowledge.
  • Techman
    edited October 2014
    Are you kidding me !?!?. I downloaded JStar's info on Thermodynamics of R-22 and started to decipher some of the hundreds of catorgies, 1000's of numbers. Holy Wrap ! The WORST PART was it is in SI (metric) ,so I got out my (hardly used) "SI-Standard International Metric Units" book by W.F.Stoecker and drove myself to nowhere! I gave up and I am downloading the "ENG" version. The heck with that conversion stuff! Holy Wrap! I guess this deserves a LOL.!!!!!!
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Here's where we say "who cares" or "who needs to know", and leave it as a mystery.
  • Techman
    Did you and your "we" say that to Dan H. when he told all of "we"about the expansion rate of water in a steam system? At my very 1st Dan H. class , he did tell us about that exp rate of water . My next very first thought was "I wonder what the exp rate of freons is ? Makes perfect sense to me and my "we". So, ever since Dan's class me and my 'we" have been curious.
    So, for those of your "we" that are also curious the answer is, r22 @ 120* cond temp, 10* SC w/ a 40* evap temp , the saturated freon in the evap expanded 44.5 times. Not quiet the 1700 to 1 for water.
    I do appreciate the time it took you to post those DuPont downloads. Mystery solved! I feel better, do you?
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Huh?