Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Which pump do I need to replace this wrong circulator pump?

agurkas
agurkas Member Posts: 238
I am told I have wrong circulator pump. Still trying to understand what will happen due to this poor choice of previous owner.
That said, currently Taco 007-F5 is installed there, so wonder if there is a direct swap unit with proper impellers.

Comments

• RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    What is the problem and why are you being told its the wrong pump?
  • agurkas
    That is good question. I've been told in one of the previous threads I had here that it should be a different pump. Also several heating folks, who came to see the system (I am converting from oil to gas) told me that pump is wrong type.

At this point at least indirect water heating is working fine. I need to fine tune setting points to stop it from short-cycling, but otherwise haven't notice any other issues.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    That pump on a hot water loop off a steam boiler? If so, you want a bronze version, or a 3 piece B and G bronze.
  • agurkas
    Yes, that is a circulator pump on a hot loop to water heater. So the concern is that it may rust? I think the current one has been in since probably 2011 or before.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Surprised it even turns. Wait untill you take it apart. Bronze resists the carbonic acid in the return water and tolerates sludge a little better. It's a nasty brew heating condensate so keep it non-ferrous.

The swing check and the Y strainer get ugly too. Mud will keep that check flap open eventually..
    JStar
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Wet-rotor circulators use the water to cool their motors. Acidic water and motors don't mix. The volute and impeller are also very small. A B&G 100 Bronze circulator has a larger impeller to pass all of that muddy steam water without a problem.
  • agurkas
    So same sludge I dumb out every two weeks is circulated? Wonder if that is why I have seen EC3 error on water tank and reseting power to it would clear it. Probably motor was getting stuck
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    I've started to add Heat Exchangers to all of my indirect tanks piped off of steam boilers. A clean tank is an efficient tank. Tanks with coils are also more likely to foul and sludge up. I'd prefer a tank-in-tank design, but you can certainly do a few things to improve your existing system.
  • Bob Bona_4
    If you mean dump from your low water cutoff, that's minor. The heavy stuff is on the bottom of the berler.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Bet it's never been thoroughly cleaned. With that pipe on the left interfering with the swing open of the front door, you can't really get at the inside unless you remove the burner. And it is STILL restricted.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    agurkas, a little of topic but whenever I see your photo I feel like I'm getting the stink eye / evil eye. >:)
  • agurkas
    RobG said:

agurkas, a little of topic but whenever I see your photo I feel like I'm getting the stink eye / evil eye. >:)

That is a shot my colleague caught when someone asked me for company corporate card in the middle of "picture day" in the office (I am notoriously frugal and run finances very tightly... so you know, we can pay our bills) :-)

• agurkas
    icesailor said:

Bet it's never been thoroughly cleaned. With that pipe on the left interfering with the swing open of the front door, you can't really get at the inside unless you remove the burner. And it is STILL restricted.

You don't have to bet, I can guarantee you that. When my HVAC guy converts the boiler from oil to gas, he is going to have "great time" fixing that issue. My wallet is already crying.
  • icesailor
    I went to the Urologist the other day. I know how you feel.
  • agurkas
    I am in MA, where steam guys are 3X the rate of those right next door with only NH license. Sure as hell I know it does not cost 3X to run a business in MA... but market is market.
  • icesailor
    Just because you are handling a lot of money, doesn't mean you're making any.

If you buy something for $100.00 and you want to mark it up to sell it by 20%, how much do you sell it for?

(Not a discussion of pricing. That is a question or some combination thereof on every Massachusetts Master Plumbers License Exam.)

I don't know what they ask in New Hampshire.
  • agurkas
    Without taking the thread too much off topic, I just hope the guys I hired to do the conversion and also install mini-splits will do a good job. I spent heck of a lot of time interviewing and getting quotes. That whole process was really unpleasant and I found big number of those companies really unprofessional (yet A rated on Angie's). This guy was actually really detailed at estimating phase. Probably spent two hours measuring everything. Too bad I could not spend another $5K to have him straighten out completely all the piping etc. We will have to do "stage 1". I do believe cleaning current boiler thoroughly is part of it.

I actually can see pile of flakes in through the peep hole. Temped to vacuum it out.