Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Upgrade to Recirculation pump

Wayco Wayne_2
Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
We just had a recirc pump go down. Instead of replacing with the same thing. (old bronze colored B & G with a coupling) I thought we should take the time to upgrade to something better. What do you guys recommend? What do I look for? Are there Recirc pumps with ECM motors? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

WW

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    edited September 2014
    We tested B&G's ecocirc in Erin's house in Silver Spring, Wayne. Dan Foley did the installation for us. The first try didn't work out. They sent us a larger pump and it's operating well. The hot water takes maybe five seconds to arrive now, compared to 3-1/2 minutes before. She had a three-story house with a basement.

The original valve that goes under the sink had noise problems but we changed that and it's fine now. Keep in mind we were testing a new product for them so they could learn these things.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Thanks Dan, This is a small commercial building and it will be running all the time. I thought something with an ECM motor would save operating costs long term. BTW, I grew up in Silver Spring. Small world dude.
  • RJ_4
    RJ_4 Member Posts: 484
    Sounds like a series 100 B&G, Is this is for domestic hw if so make sure you get a bronze fitted pump, You need to get a pump curve of existing pump ( b&g should have them online ) to size new pump
    RJ
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    For sure!
    Retired and loving it.
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Someone recommended a Grunfos PM circ for domestic hot water circulation. Has anyone used it yet? Any feedback?
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    Hello Wayne I have used the grunfos domestic re circ with great results on both larger residential and commercial jobs ,very quite and definetly less engry comsumpition in comparision to the old B&G .Big plus is built in temp sensor and timer ,have yet to have any issues with any of them I think I,ve got about 6 or 7 of them out there .Do yourself a favor and use the European union connections the sweet ones are a little tough to solder and make a good looking joint ,the flanges have built in isolation valves ,real nice product and saves you some coin on aquastst and timer and just pluga in .peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Thank you Clammy.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Love the ecocirc e3 series, especially the Vario. Don't be afraid to use more than one on commercial jobs -- split the loops to get the operating point you need.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    edited October 2014
    Boys, don't forget that recirc pumps for Potable Water must be no lead/lead free bronze as of last January, 20

Taco makes a 006 in Stainless steel, a Stainless Steel body.

Its the law.

If you go through the catalogs on-line, that are the most up to date, some bronze circulators aren't approved for Potable Water and others are.

There's been a lot of gripping about lead free bronze and soldering.