Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Are all threaded fittings the same?

Options
ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,672
When dealing with iron threaded fittings are they generally all the same dimensions from different manufacturers? And what about older ones?

For example if I take a new Ward 2" ell should it match an older one on a steam system or are there often differences?
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    Generally :) Your standard iron pipe and fittings are threaded NPT. There will be slight variationsin tolerances. Especially with overseas stuff. Ward is one of the most predictable.
    ChrisJ
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    Chris are you talking about center to end dimensions or the thread dimensions? The center to end dimension from the center of one pipe to the entrance of the other pipe? So if you take out one 2" ell will a new ell be a direct replacement. In my experience with fitting of all kinds there are definite variations, but they shouldn't be such that you can't swap one for another. Some of the really old stuff might be out of current standards, but standards probably didn't exist when they were made. Of course I have also seen manufacturers having one set of dims in their catalog, a different set of dims on the 3D model from their website and the real world part not matching either one of those. So sometimes it feels like a game of darts.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    ChrisJ
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    The standard for NPT was established in the 1860's, so it would have to be a very old fitting to not be replaceable with a new fitting.
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,672
    Options
    KC,
    Yeah that's basically what I'm asking. Right now it applies to the 1 1/4" 45 and 90 I'm about to bust out on that short runout.

Then it occurred to me what about if you replace something like a tee on a steam main assuming you've got a union close by or something. Will a modern tee drop right in, or would it end up a hair too wide or short etc.

Up until now I automatically assumed all of them were slightly different aside from the angle and NPT part then I started thinking perhaps there are standard dimensions.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment