Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best Energy Star Mod-Con gas boilers?

OldHomeMA
OldHomeMA Member Posts: 4
New to this forum, and really learning a lot. In short, 1830s Central MA home with current oil boiler and tube-fin baseboard radiators (yes, I wish they were cast iron, but...), switching to a gas boiler ASAP.

I've read the great thread on "best mod-con boilers," though two of the three listed are not on the current Energy Star high-efficiency list. Due to some of the local incentives/rebates, we are in the market for a high-efficiency Energy Star boiler. I'm hoping the good people on this list can redo that mod-con rating with Energy Star versions! Here's the list of most efficient for 2014...

https://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=most_efficient.me_boilers

Thanks in advance for any advice you can share.

Comments

• Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Surprising to me that no one has picked up on this one yet. There are many very good mod-con boilers. Each contractor has his preferences and his reason for same. The hairs seem to split one way or the other. I think you should find the contractor(s). Interview them and decide whom you are most comfortable with. Buy the contractor, not the boiler. You buy him, he will bring the boiler. Use that one! In a MA winter like you had last year you want someone who is going to be there in the unlikely event that something goes down. Buy the guy!
    Jean-David Beyer
  • JoeyG_2
    JoeyG_2 Member Posts: 14
    Well said Jack. Being on the wholesale side of things, I always look at customer service such as local and factory sales reps.

As an end user, ask friends and family members who they would recommend. After you find a contractor, ask them for references. Actually call the references and make sure they are happy with the work performed. References are not worth a thing unless you call them.

The contractor should be able to tell you how familiar they are with the product and if they have had any training on the proposed boiler.

Ask to see a heat-loss and ask questions like "why is this make/model the best for my install" and "what are some features and benefits"?.

Application is a big part of an installation. Some models work better in different situations.

I'm not gonna drop manufacturer names and model#'s because that usually turns out just like a Chevy vs. Ford grudge match. Please do your homework though. You're gonna live with this boiler for a while. Don't end up with the basement roomate from HELL!!!!!

-JoeyG
    Joey G
    RobG
  • OldHomeMA
    Thanks for the feedback so far. I am going the route of asking neighbors and friends for contractor recommendations, and have some appointments for estimates this week. Agreed it's a big decision/cost, so trying to do my homework as best I can.

And any recommendations from this list for contractors serving Worcester County, MA, would also be appreciated!
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Don't know if you saw my post in the other thread you started . Manufactured in East Freetown , local support , local service , local distribution . I am in Jersey and HTP is my first choice for mod con technology .
    http://www.htproducts.com/pioneer.html

You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    I'm a big fan of the Viessman boilers.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Steve_210
    Steve_210 Member Posts: 646
    I tend to stick with stainless steel Hx rather than aluminum
    Worth considering
  • OldHomeMA
    Thanks all, and discussion with contractors on stainless steel vs aluminum is definitely on my list!
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Don't forget Cupronickel / Stainless with no restriction to speak of
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Short answer from me is this: I got on the mod con wagon 13 years ago. Saw the good and the bad and the ugly. Won't do an AL vessel if you gave it to me. My choice would be Triangle Tube Solo. Low pressure drop thru boiler etc etc. No teething pains...no issues. It is imperative the installer is versed on mod cons, from piping to venting for troublefree service.
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    JV Mechanical are hard to beat. There are many good guys in that area, but Joe and Vic are excellent.