Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

hot water heating

Options
i have radiators with 3/8" piping would like to make 2nd floor separate zone there are 6 recessed cast iron radiators on 2nd floor any ideas?

Comments

• RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    3/8" piping is very odd, Can you post some photos of the rads and boiler room?

Rob
  • stevenotnats
    stevenotnats Member Posts: 3
    Options
    its 3/8 soft copper and was being fed by 3/4 main feed and return i would like to do a single loop but im concerned that the last radiator wont get enough heat
  • RobG
    Options
    I would be concerned that the second radiator would not get enough heat. What are you trying to do, a gut remodel? Does the system work now? Can you post some pictures?

Rob
  • stevenotnats
    stevenotnats Member Posts: 3
    Options
    I'll be there tomorrow and get pics. It's not a gut that's the problem I need to work from the basement. My guess is monoflo tees instead of single loop. It worked before as one zone but no even heat. Also monoflo has usually one pipe this has two
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options
    3/8" soft copper to Rads is a new one to me! Not saying it can't work in the right conditions, just haven't seen it before. I don't believe a monoflow tee could be expected to produce flow through piping that small coming off a 3/4" line. Take some pics and perhaps construe a drawing with the pipe sizes labled.
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    Get a manifold and hit each rad alone . Set each flow properly for the room the rad is in and do the math .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    !/2" would be the minimum here
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Its probably 1/2" OD, 3/8" ID soft copper.

Without photos its hard to tell what you have or are trying to do.

If it actually does use "Mono-Flow" Tees, the other side of the radiator goes into the same main pipe as the Mono-Flow fitting.

If you have a problem with the radiators heating properly and they are on the second floor, I would (or you might consider) reconnecting those three radiators as a true and correct reverse return. NOT A DIRECT RETURN!!!!. Then, you will get equal flow pressure at all the radiators. They should then all work as designed. If the output matches the room, all should be well.

Nothing works better than a properly piped and sized Reverse Return.
  • JoeBoz
    JoeBoz Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Need help with navien error codes any one ?
  • JoeBoz
    JoeBoz Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Need help with navien error codes anyone? Thanks
  • RobG
    Options
    How did Navien error codes come into this discussion?
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    There are plenty of those systems here in DC. Usually have a field fab. manifolds in the basement above the boiler. The Supply manifolds have shut off valves for each rad or convector. If your is set up like this you can easily zone it by shutting off all the valves and then opening each one alone and figure out which rad or convector it feeds. Many of the systems I see here had tags identifying each one. After you figure which ones are the second floor make a separate manifold for them and your done.