Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Lochinvar or laars wall hung?

Options
Joeking
Joeking Member Posts: 1
I just got gas into my house and now am trying to figure out what kind of boiler to get. I really would like to save some space so I was looking into either the lochinvar cadet combi or the laars mascot LX combi. I have been doing plumbing now for about 2 years now

and will be doing the install myself. I onced installed a navien combi, worked really well would even consider getting one of those. I was wondering the pros and cons of these boilers and if anyone has any other suggestions. I currently live on Long Island, NY in a 3000 sq ft home with 3.5 baths. I will be running baseboard and radiant heat off this system. Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Don_197
    Don_197 Member Posts: 184
    Options
    If you read through many posts here, you will notice that every time someone asks a similiar question to yours.....the pros chime in with (the following is pasted from a reply to another similiar post and credit goes to "Ironman"

"Like most home owners, you're missing the major issue and majoring on the minor one.

You appear to assume that contractors are all about the same and the big difference is in the appliance. Just the opposite is true!

Most folks assume that because a contractor has a business and a license that he knows what he's doing and the job will be done correctly. Maybe, maybe not. It's more not in this world of hydronics.

The contractor is 98% of the equation in this business. A good hydronics man can take any boiler and make it work fine; a knucklehead will ruin the best boiler on the planet. And there are a lot of knuckleheads available.

I would highly recommend that you re-direct the effort that you've put into boiler research into contractor research. Get references from people you know, then get them from others for whom he has done work. Let him show you pics of his work. The "Find a Contractor" tab above is good place to start.

Once you're confident that you've found a good one, let him recommend the make and model that's best for your situation. He'll be a thousand times more qualified to do that than the internet.

I don't sell either of the models that you mentioned but I'm somewhat familiar with them.

The general consensus of the pros on here is for a down fired design like those that use the fire tube heat exchanger found in the T.T, Lochinvar WHN, HTP Elite FT. I would also recommend the Utica SSC at the bottom of the page under "Product of the Month". I would not recommend anything with a Gianonni heat exchanger for the U.S. Market. Americans don't seem to know how to service them and failures are high as a result.
    Bob Boan"

Good luck in your endeavours!! 8-)

Don

RobG
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,142
    Options
    both good choices. I have a Laars Mascot in my mother in laws, and a Lochinvar Combi in my home.
    Be sure you can live with the DHW they produce. In winter time with cold incoming water, figure around 2.5 gpm.
    Still plenty for one load running, but if you are use to large DHW dump loads it will be a learning curve.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream