Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Routing pex

Options
hotfoot
hotfoot Member Posts: 19
Quick question, can I run the return line of pex under the baseboard? Is there any heat or other issue that can arise? Thank you.

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    PEX Returns:

If you are using PEX to run hot water UP to the unit/element, it certainly isn't going to be hotter going BACK from the element. Personally, I'd be running over the top of the element. Its designed to be done that way. There's not a lot of room when you go under the element and it might restrict the air flow through the heater.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    More specific

Do you mean actually under the base board assembly.

If so be careful of blocking the intake of the base board. I think heat will be an issue the return water temp is high it will effect convection .

Remember base board relies on cold air sucked in from the bottom to be heated. Once you narrow that delta I think air flow will slow down
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,132
    edited September 2014
    Options
    tough to suspend

pex tube in an enclosure. If you go that route, use the straight lengths of pex or Viega FostaPex.

Some BB brands have provisions to place the return above the element, it would be easier to mount and keep it on top. I suspect it will have a small heat output penalty, blocking the convection flow.

SlantFin installation guide #30 style
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • hotfoot
    hotfoot Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Raising baseboards

These baseboards are located in a basement and appearance is not a concern. If I run the return above the fins it would have to cross the in and out to the base board on both ends. Would it be ok if I raised the baseboard 1" (1" being the height of the pex) off the ground? That way I can run the upper pex to feed the baseboards and than loop under and return the pex without all the elbows and still giving the proper amount of cool air under the baseboard. Thank you