Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

heat gain

is there a good comp. program for figuring cooling tonnage for a residential home.  thanks paul s
ASM Mechanical Company
Located in Staten Island NY
Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
347-692-4777
ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
ASMHVACNYC.COM
https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company

Comments

• Spence
    Spence Member Posts: 316
    Loads

Look at Wrightsoft. Great program based on ACCA. If they like it, you can't do better!
  • NJ, Designer
    NJ, Designer Member Posts: 53
    Programs

are you going to do the loads on a tablet or old computer? Do you need manual J 8th edition? send me a email and I'll give you a call if want,
  • Paul S_3
    Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
    edited September 2014
    just.....

Want it done correctly, meaning heat gain from Windows, sky lights etc.....a computer program would be suffice, but what's your email? Mine is paulstess85@yahoo.com .... .thanks Paul s............(PS......I've personally never done one myself usually have my ductman handle , great at ductwork but not cutting it with the exact tonnage)
    ASM Mechanical Company
    Located in Staten Island NY
    Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
    347-692-4777
    ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company
  • don_9
    don_9 Member Posts: 395
    manual s

Maybe his problem has nothing to do with doing the load calc correctly but more so not knowing what to do with the numbers once he has them.The manual j load is just one part of the picture to selecting the right equipment.may i suggest the manual s by acca it will help you to understand how to go about picking the right equipment with the numbers you get from your load calc.It truly is a must have manual.
  • Spence
    Doing it Right

Without knowing the size of the two cooling loads and the heating load, you can never have the ducts sized properly, because you will not know what blower will deliver the air needed to neutralize the three loads. Without the blower specs, you won't know what pressure will deliver the air required.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Old Guys & Pencils:

Way back in the last century, I asked about designing hydronic systems. I was told that the real old timers used the "pencil Manual method.

They'd stand on the sidewalk, or at some imaginary distance from the house and hold up a new #2 yellow pencil at arms length. The amount of baseboard was determined by how much the pencil covered the house from arms length. If the house was longer than the pencil was, you covered all the walls with baseboard. If the pencil was longer, you could cut down the baseboard by the percentage of pencil left over.

I don't make this stuff up. Someone told me that.

Doing air sounds like the same method if you don't do it properly. Most of the air systems I saw installed seemed to be designed by the Pencil Method.

If you go to the trouble of learning and using Manuals J and S and design accordingly, can you be competitive against someone using the Pencil method?
  • don_9
    competitive

Ice you know the answer to that question.it sadden me to say that it is not possible to compete with the low baller.And yes you will hear many say you should not have too.well in the bidding world in my area the lowest price get the job nine out of ten times.sign of the times i guess.Take a look at the service side of the biz now.if you are not working with a home warranty company which we dont then your service side of the bizz is losing once again to the guy that are willin to work for less then break even.This field has become very saturated now days n for most folks out there as long as it heat n cool all is well.yes for alot of us guys who try to do it right n by the book are finding ourself sweeping the shop more n more every day.sorry paul we got off topic.
  • don_9
    competitive

Ice you know the answer to that question.it sadden me to say that it is not possible to compete with the low baller.And yes you will hear many say you should not have too.well in the bidding world in my area the lowest price get the job nine out of ten times.sign of the times i guess.Take a look at the service side of the biz now.if you are not working with a home warranty company which we dont then your service side of the bizz is losing once again to the guy that are willin to work for less then break even.This field has become very saturated now days n for most folks out there as long as it heat n cool all is well.yes for alot of us guys who try to do it right n by the book are finding ourself sweeping the shop more n more every day.sorry paul we got off topic.
  • icesailor
    Talking:

You must mean like the people that can thoroughly clean 8 oil boilers completely in an 8 hour day?

When you go on a no heat call because the boiler is totally plugged up, and it takes 3 hours to thoroughly clean the boiler and fix up the burner, the owner complains that the last guys took less than an hour to do what you just did and they only want to pay for an hour.

Why did you call me? Because they wouldn't come or didn't answer their phone.

You should have just kept calling until they answered.

And they get frosty when we refuse to do cold calls unless recommended by a good customer.
  • Spence
    Manual P

Can you imagine a person who doesn't have a clue about our industry actually working in it?

You will always have the incredible value of your knowledge, skills, and willingness to learn as a gift to your customers. All they have is a pencil.
  • icesailor
    Knowing:

What's harder to imagine is all the information available out there and all who don't know it's out there.
  • Spence
    Knowing

Hence, the wall.
  • don_9
    tools

It is like having all the fancy tools in the tool bag and not knowing how to use them.speaking of manual p i would be lost with out that one.i remember years ago when they were installing indoor coils in some cases two ton bigger then outdoor to get them seer numbers up there.people was having a hard time wondering why their unit was not putting out alot of water.if you are not getting that coil temp below dew point then you are not going to remove any water.thank goodness i knew how to find my dew point with my manual p n i had several tapping on the blower motor to reduced fan speed.i think if they would have had a txv on them i may have never got the call.but with a.piston when outdoor temps goes up so does sst as well.
  • icesailor
    Knowledge Gain:

Back in the Mid 60's, I bought a Labrador Retriever puppy with incredible breeding. My mother gave me a book by a man named Richard Wolters from PA who wrote books on dog training. Using recently developed techniques (at the time) they were using with guide dogs for the blind. Toward the end of the book, Mr. Wolters stated that if you take a young dog and teach it, it will learn it. And it will enjoy learning for the rest of its life. The thing about teaching an old dog new tricks wasn't true.

I've always said that learning something is like a pyramid. There's lots of learning at the bottom. The higher you get up toward the top, the harder it is to find the pearls. The Wall is like one of those aquaculture farms where they raise oysters for cultured pearls.
  • Spence
    Puppies and Pencils

I wonder if Paul found a load program to his liking. I e-mailed him. Didn't hear from him.