Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Venting Gas Insert + Tyvek?

Options
I am researching installing a direct vent gas insert in my basement. In order to vent it I have to drill through a rim joist, the plywood, through the tyvek, and then through my brick veneer.

The installation guide calls for a 1" clearance around the vent but is this enough to prevent the tyvek from melting? I have searched google and cannot find any discussions on the tyvek and issues regarding direct venting.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Spence
    Spence Member Posts: 316
    Options
    Tyvek

You will have no issues provided you maintain the factory prescribed clearances to all combustibles. Tyvek is the least of your worries.
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,036
    Options
    terminology

An "insert" is designed to be inserted into an existing woodburning fireplace that has passed an NPFA 211 level II inspection for suitability. A direct vent fireplace uses listed coaxial direct vent pipe installed in accordance with the manufacturer's listed instructions for that appliance. To vent out a band joist will require cutting out a rectangular opening as specified in the instructions into which are installed the inner and outer listed firestop/ spacers. Generally, the outer firestop can just overlap housewrap but under NO conditions can combustibles encroach on stated clearances to combustibles. You really should pay a pro to install this appliance since you're having trouble with this elementary aspect of the installation. No offense but failure is defined by what remains standing the day after the fire.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Fire Loss:

It is said that no fire department has ever lost a chimney in a fire.