Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

a.o smith promax direct vent

jonny88
jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
Hi ,has any one had any experience with this unit,would you recommend it?thanks.

Tankless is not in the budget for homeowner and chimney is not available.

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Power vented gas water heaters:

Power vent assisted gas water heaters are pretty well wrung out and haven't had many problems. As long as you keep the vent termination above the snow line (where applicable), they haven't had any problems. They are like a fine wine. They have improved with age.
  • jonny88
    thanks icesailor

yep customer is on a very tight budget and current water heater is sharing chimney with furnace and not drafting correctly.I will be terminating 7 ft above snow level.I would have used power vented but there is not combustion air for all appliances.Thanks for the reassurance.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    edited August 2014
    Vent Assistance:

These can help with that problem.

http://www.tjernlund.com/combustionairintake.htm
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    edited August 2014
    Orphan

appliances in a chimney that now be oversized are very BAD .

Make damn sure that appliance left in there is capable of heating the chimney enough not to condense in there .  Make sure they are not killed to save some money . Did they recently have insulation added by any chance ? Was the chimney inspected for defects ?
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • jonny88
    HI Rich

The chimney is original with furnace directly connected to it.They are both the same age,then someone came in and cut a wye into flue for gas water heater.Thanks for your reply,after all installs I hire a guy to test combustion etc.you make a very valid point though and its appreciated.