Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil additive/bonding/gasket friendly/"O" ring friendly/

teflon friendly/ neoprene friendly stuff called SUPER CHANGE ! When retrofitting an R22 system you don't have to change out the oil or any of the above! Has anyone used this stuff? It bonds mineral oil, alkylbenzene , and POE to each other, so no oil change out.  Its by CLIPLIGHT Co. I've used their pin hole in evap coil  sealing stuff with good results this year on one system. No more Freon leaks in the evap , so far.

Comments

• McGee
    McGee Member Posts: 14
    Super Change

I have been watching this. I have recently started using 407c with supco88 and it seems to be working well so far. This sounds interesting. Have you tried it yet? I am not one for additives but will try some just to evaluate. From my experience the supco is working out so far.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    edited August 2014
    Supco88 vs SUPER CHANGE

My 1st couple of bosses used Supco88, I've used it a few times . Not bad .I am not aware that the supco88 is an "oil bonder"and "gasket lover". The Super stuff is supposed to bond all oils and eliminates changing the oil and gaskets/Schraders and others. My 1st time using ICOR's r22 replacement blend, I was back 12hrs later replacing the old LL Solenoid Valve . I WILL try the SUPER CHARGE as a trial/error in cahoots w/ the local Sid Harvey manager. So, I have not tried it yet .Compressor mfg's. do not like oil additives! NCIS McGEE?
  • McGee
    McGee Member Posts: 14
    Super Change

Yea, my wife named our dog McGee after that show. Supco claims to be misicible to all oils and refrigerants. So the logic is that it will then mix with refrigerants that require Poe. So no issues on the heatpumps I have used it on. These units contain mineral oil. It would be a pain to remove the oil and replace with Poe. Depending on the study you read, some say that you can add 20% Poe to the units but I tend to prefer the supco route. Some like it and some don't, I am doing my own experimenting. Time will tell.
  • Techman
    edited August 2014
    Super Change

Be careful there McGee, Supco said that the #88 oil additive does not bond Mineral oil to AB oil or to POE ,or AB to POE as SUPER CHANGE claims. And #88 will not have an effect on O rings, Teflon seals( Schrader inserts) etc ,again, as SUPER CHANGE claims. Changing an inwarranty comp is a pain in the butt. Supco did say that #88 is miscible with each individual oil.
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    I am going to make some mad, but....

I know that I am in the minority, but I hate additives.  They shouldn't be needed.

If you are doing a refer change, then change the oil and do an RX-11 flush to clear the system.  I opened up a scroll on a conversion because I was curious.  The contractor that converted it used Supco.  It wasn't pretty.  I am just not a believer and it is too late to convince me.

Sorry guys.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Agreement?

You're agreeing with what my old High School Auto Shop teacher Mr. Wilson always said: "You can't buy a mechanic in a can"?
  • Techman
    edited August 2014
    OIl additive, yes?, no?

I agree w/ meplumber! Copeland Compressor Co. says the same thing! I am Copeland trained and educated! COMPRESSOR MANUFACUTORS WILL VOID ANY COMPRESSOR WARRANTY IF ANY OIL ADDITEVES ARE FOUND IN THE COMPRESSOR UPON INSPECTION!!   BELIVE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When a family owned/operated delicatessen/bakery/kinda  business has a "tight" 1/2, 3/4 ,  1hp  comp and under , and were are talking up to 6 grand, I added that #88 "just to see" and the comp lived another couple of years. This was with the customer as a co-conspirator. In a regular local bar ,they have "beer coolers" its usually better to replace the entire worn out beer cooler. So, Hay bartender! Owner! How about this stuff!!!!!

Most residential AC has ALL of the seals and stuff replaced w/ the upgrade of equipment. But on a 15 year old res AC:  with 20lbs of r22 and a can of this "magic seal" stuff vs a new system was ,again ,in cahoots w/ the customer.

Now, Chris, my friend , with the stuff that you work on , that "do not add additives" rule should be enforced , will be enforced! I TOTALLY agree !
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    I can see your point, kinda

Terry, I do see your point to some degree and maybe I am influenced by the size of the equipment that I work on.  
  • Techman
    Too late? HA!!!!

I woun't think of you that way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!