Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Smart solution of outdoor shower

Options
Hi,

I have this project in mind and would like to hear suggestions about what would be the smartest, most efficient set up. I'm not familiar with heaters, etc, so please bear with me...

I'm looking to install an outdoor shower outside a toolshed which has electricity and also water supplied from a hose hooked to a not too distant house.

The toolshed (and house) being in the middle of nowhere, the shed is not heated or used in winter (it freezes during about 3 months).

I also dont want to use propane so my two options are electric or solar or a mix of the two. i'm not sure about solar because the shed is surrounded by trees and I doubt there would be enough light especially in the fall to power the boiler (i was thinking 20-30 gallons).

So my questions are:

- is it worth considering a solar / electric boiler?

- if electric only makes most sense, what type of brand, set up would be most likely to last long in an environment when the tank would be empty and frozen for several weeks each year and used rarely (i'm thinking easy switch-on-off not to waste to much electricity).

Thank you for your help and time, it's much appreciated.

Francis

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    My solution

30Gal electric tank water heater, drained for the winter. Skip the PV panels to power the WH.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Outside Showers:

And if you really want to do it on the cheap, just run two lines in PEX, in rubber insulation from the house and skip the expense of a water heater and electrical service.

You might think it will be nice out in the Outback on the side of a shed, but on the house is nicer and you will use it a lot in the warm weather. A good outside shower is almost as good as an additional bathroom. Without the toilet. I had customers who seriously felt that their quality of life was degraded when their outside showers weren't working. They could live with a broken toilet. But not with a broken outside shower. If you have a dog or other large pet, put check valves on the valve and wash the dog with warm water. You will never have to fight them to get a bath. Do you like to take a cold shower? Neither do dogs and pets. Horses will lead you to a warm wash rack. You drag them to a cold one.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,142
    Options
    how much $$

it could be as simple as one of those black bag solar camping showers.. Or a small collector on the roof with a 30 gallon solar tank, with electric back up.

There are a number of these free standing solar showers. I suppose a piece of 4" ABS pipe with a faucet attached.

i have seen really engineered ones with a couple evac tubes connected to a pedastal, just connect a hose.

Plenty of You Tube videos on clever solar shower DIYers
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream