Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Trouble Reconnecting a Water Softener

Options
Ian07
Ian07 Member Posts: 1
After having my garage floor painted, I'm trying to reconnect my water softener.  But, I can't reconnect the drain pipe using the quick disconnect.  There's nothing obstructing it, and nothing changed from when I disconnected it last week.  I just can't get the quick disconnect properly seated in order to insert the retaining pin.    I placed the red slip pin in place in the one picture, but it's not all the way in.  I really appreciate any help.

Comments

• RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    Silcone

Use some good silicone faucet grease on the o-ring and push the fitting straight down. Don't have it cocked like it is in the picture. If you do not have access to faucet grease you can just use a liquid dish soap.

Rob
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    I have used

Petroleum jelly before also.  Not sure if it's a good or bad idea, but it worked like a charm.  I figure if it's safe to use on babies it's safe for potable water.  In my experience almost any O-Ring likes a little lubricant.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    Petroleum

Petroleum based products are not to be used with rubber. They will make the o-ring swell and deteriorate.

Rob