Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Evenflow Ball valves brass 600psi WOG

subsea
subsea Member Posts: 3
To All

after having a valve fail in a workers hand I took a look at these valves and it says china on the handle but nothing on the actual valve. My Company has a policy of not using any Chinese manufactured pipe or valving, I couldnt find anything on the evenflow website as to their origin. can anyone help me out?

thanks

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    do you mean EverFlow?

They are located in NJ, could be a China import, it should be labeled country of origin, but there are way around that,

"PRC" is one way I have seen around putting China on a valve, People's Republic of China.

You can still get domestic brass, if you request it. Most of the big name manufacturers offer import and domestic.

Or top quality Italian ball valves.

What was the failure?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • subsea
    yes everflow

The valve was turned on, guy went to turn valve on at equipment came back because he heard hissing, figured it was at Crows foot fitting gasket turned off valve and that's when the thread collar separated from body. system pressure 120 psi. have found multiple valves all everflow with cracked bodies. no markings on the valve with the exception of WOG 600psi, valve handle has made in china on the underside. Valve very light even for a 600psi rating. don't expect to get a straight answer from everflow, anyone have any ideas?
  • hot_rod
    that is common

to stamp the country of origin under the handle. Have you contacted Everflow, I suspect they will want the failed ones back for evaluation.

Send a new one out to a lab for testing, should be easy to find the fail point on a test bench.

What is the application? Is it possible the pressure exceeded 120? Any gauges on the system.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    IPS Ball Valves:

That valve is a POS. That broke where the threaded end that pushes the "Teflon" gasket into the ball. It was probably tightened in the factory by a machine to the equivalent of a 3" pipe wrench. It least that's what it seems to take to get them apart.

The valve should have been supported. What's that metal piece connected to the broken part of the valve? It doesn't look a lot like a air hose.
  • subsea
    System pressure

I have only seen 110psi on any of the gauges on the system, support for valves agreed, lots of endemic problems with the system, industrial air to barge, no drain valves on peanut tanks, no isolation valves for peanut tanks.... the list goes on. one problem at a time....I compared a C&C 1" ball valve same MWP and that valve was much beefier than that pos, thats what you get when purchasing looks for the lowest bid.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Comparisons:

Look at the catalog for any valve company. They have heavy expensive ones, and light weight cheap ones. Some purchasing agents for equipment think the only difference between the value of a valve is its cost.

If you are using that valve and that piece of equipment on a barge, they should have spec'ed stainless steel handles. In 5 years, the handles will all be rotted off.

And if the barge is in the North, in below 32 degree weather, be sure to leave ALL the handles in the "OPEN" position or the sides of the valves will split from the trapped water/moisture freezing and splitting.
  • hot_rod
    external force

could have pulled that apart. Looks like some sort of hose quick connect on the other valves.

Merely tripping on a hose could put enough force to pull that shallow, fin e, soft thread assembly joint apart.

A big difference between a 3 dollar and 12 dollar valve. looks like an industrial quality valve with proper support is called for? Along with suggestions from Ice regarding environmental conditions.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • hot_rod
    edited August 2014
    dp

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA