Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacing oil furnace w/ fan coil connected to new boiler. What brands to consider?

agurkas
agurkas Member Posts: 238
Looking to replace dead forced air furnace with fan coil. Since I will be replacing the boiler and running gas to it, I just want to avoid the additional expense of running another 40 foot gas line and buying gas furnace.

Thinking is to just get boiler specced for more water heating capacity and run a loop to fan coil. Down the road I can replace old system in the other part of the house and run same setup there.

Fan coil in question would be heating about 1800 sq ft on one floor.

With that all in mind, what brands have the fan coil units I should research?

First Co.? Trane?

Comments

• Spence
    Spence Member Posts: 316
    Fan Coil

As you mentioned both a boiler and a fan coil, I will assume the boiler will heat water to pass through a hydronic coil in the air handler, which again I assume is connected to an existing duct system. Way before choosing a maker, you need a load study to determine what capacities the boiler and hot water coil should be. A hydronic coil usually has an extremely high pressure drop. You have to make sure the blower and ducts will work properly, especially if you have air conditioning.
  • agurkas
    agurkas Member Posts: 238
    No hope for blower

I actually have no hope for blower in the furnace. Would want multi speed one anyway. There is condenser coil above though.

Point re. brands is so I can at least ping local dealers who sell it. I have had enough suggestions re split systems. Must be nice margins on those
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
    edited July 2014
    A company

The company that I deal with is called first company.

They have heating coils that put out 70,000 btu with a three ton a-coil .

The key thing is to have it as low as temp if condensing boiler.

And have to have the gpm of the pump set correctly.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Spence
    Spence Member Posts: 316
    Equipment

The point, for your comfort and economy, is you have some serious issues to consider prior to selecting equipment. The hydronic coil can have as much resistance as an entire duct system, so if you don't plan for it you will be stuck with a system that neither cools nor heats properly. Get your loads first, so you know what size coil you need and the pressure you have available. Then find a maker whose blower will give you what you need. An hour or two spent on this will save you years of frustration, high energy consumption, and premature equipment failure.