Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

nuisance lock out of mini split

Computer server room has a Samsung AQV24NDS to cool the 5ft x 8ft room. also equipped with a "temp-alert" control that is connected to our security alarm system. 4 nights in a row we have received calls from the alarm company that the server room has a high temperature alert. I drive out to the office at some unGodly hour of the night just to turn on the Samsung Mini-split that has mysteriously turned itself off.

Our "IT" manager says the HVAC contractor needs to fix it. HVAC Guy says it is a power failure that shuts off the unit and when the power is restored someone has to manually turn the unit back on.

Is this a normal problem with the Samsung design that makes it not go back to what ever the setting was before the power outage?

If this IS the way it is designed.... is there a fix so it can go back on after a power failure?

I hope someone can give me a simple fix for this problem

Signed

Tired in Atlantic City
Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics

Comments

• Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    While many mini-split systems

Are used in IT rooms they are not necessarily the right product for the application. They are chosen because they are much less cost than the Leibert system designed for these applications. My mini splits restart automatically when power is restored. I would say that the contractor should have known this could have been an issue. Then again, as important as it is, so should you.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    lock out

Is this one of those systems where the remote control HAS TO be within "line of sight" of the indoor unit? All of the mini's restart automatically after a power failure.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,718
    Thanks

Thank your for your remarks. No insult taken since it was intended to a person that obviously is way above my pay grade. I am the guy that has to hear from the alarm company when the intruder alert sounds due to high wind or the boss forgets the password and the alarm goes off. Or when there is high temperature alert because the Samsung mini split stopped working because of a power outage.

Perhaps i am way below your pay grade too. But at least I know that the designers and engineers of the project could have used a LEIBERT system. This will come in handy when I want to get fired. I just need to tell them that they made a stupid HVAC choice for the server room. “JACK from the internet said so” I will look at heating critic.com for your next post. What I was hoping for was someone familiar with SAMSUNG-QUIETSIDE for heatingHELP did I use the wrong forum?
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    Remote Reply

Yes this uses a line of sight remote. I fail to see how this would matter. At 2 AM there is no one in the building to push the remote control button if the power fails. Should the Samsung unit just return to the same setting prior the power outage?
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    Wired controler

on the Quietside website it looks like there is a wired controller option. Has anyone had my same problem? If so... Has the hard-wired controller made any difference?
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    lock out

Put the remote in a draw , turn power off /on and see what doesn't happen at least on some of the earlier systems.
  • Jack
    Sorry to have ruffled your feathers, Ed

But I got those calls in a six state area. There are a lot of topics on this site that "Jack from the internet" won't touch. This one I will. Mini-splits are great equipment and I use them in my home, but they aren't intended, necessarily, for this type application. That so many of them work well in server rooms speaks to their versatility. The manuf I represented wouldn't take responsibility for these type systems saying it was mis-application. I don't know how Samsung will view this.

My suggestion is that you contact Samsung directly for their solution. If you are having issues, especially in a critical application, you need the best information available, and that will come directly from Samsung. I say that because you may not like what you hear from them. They may bless the application and have a solution for you but you need to know their view right away. Otherwise some nitwit on the internet will aggravate you no end.

I do apologize for offending you and in re-reading my original post I see why you have taken offense, especially so when you are in a jam. I hope everything goes well for you on this.
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    edited July 2014
    Chill Dude

This "Jack from the Internet" was THE manufacturer's representative for a major mini-split manufacturer from their introduction into the United States.  He is more qualified to talk about mini-splits than anyone else on this website.  I have been doing air conditioning for my entire adult life and most of my teenage years (30 years all together) and I still look to Jack if I get stumped on a mini-split problem. 

He answered your question.  Your employer or the design engineer chose the wrong equipment.  Period.

Mini-splits are often put in these rooms because they are a cheap alternative.  All of them and I mean all of them automatically reset after a power outage.  There is something else going on, that you are not seeing.  As Terry told you, some of these lower end units have to have the remote within line of sight when the power is restored.  Otherwise, they lose their setpoint reference.  The default in some of the units is 77 deg cooling.  Unless the remote can "resend" the setpoint, it will default to the higher setpoint.

Do what was described above.  Find the remote, put it in a drawer and recycle the power.  If the unit doesn't come back on, then that is your problem.  Then to prove it, place the remote in line of sight of the evaporator and repeat the test. 
  • don_9
    don_9 Member Posts: 395
    The truth

The truth nothing but the truth dano.lol Some people they come here for help and then get mad when you give them great advice. We forgive you Ed we know you are mad at the world for being awaken from your sleep. Maybe a couple of night camping out on the job you can solved the issue you are having.
  • Jack
    Being generally of the insensitive persuasion...

I have to say that I am touched by those kind words. I had a great time in the Rep business and I miss the work, but most of all I miss the people.

Now, we have to change a couple of words in that testimonial. Where it read, "was THE manufacturers rep", it should now read "WAS the manuf rep". ;)

I hope things are going well for you!