Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

coil cleaner needed

Options
does anyone know of a cleaner, hopefully one that will not damage a rubber roof, that can get calcium build up of an air cooled condenser? we have a 15 ton unit that was installed by others way too close to a cooling tower. the unit ran like that for 5 years until we relocated out of harms way. at this point the damage has been done and there is this white film over everything, over the counter coil cleaners have little to know effect on getting this off. it is so bad that any day above 95 out both compressors will not stay online. any suggestions would be helpful. we are almost to the point of recommending the coil be replaced. thanks to all

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    "Rubber" Roofs:

"Rubber" roofs are usually some form of Butyl Nitril rubber. Usually impervious acid cleaners. Try some coil cleaner on an out of the way spot.

Remember, the solution to pollution is dilution. Once you have the crud washed off, use lots of clean fresh water to dilute and wash off the cleaner.

That's not my specialty but it seems to me that with lots of fresh water from a hose, will get the cleaner off.  I could be easily wrong.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Options
    coil cleaner.

Something like CLR ? Possibly, run a lot of water before applying the "cleaner " to dilute the chemicals even more once its  on the roof membrane .Are there two cond coils , back to back , that should be "separated " to clean inbetween the coils?