Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

SubCooling

Options
When estimating SC for R22, the vertical rise is figured at, every two feet of rise there is a 1 lb. press drop. What is it for R410A ?

Comments

• alotlikeearl
    alotlikeearl Member Posts: 68
    Options
    Pressure Drop

If I am reading Trane's guide correctly, it shows .43 PSI drop per foot of liquid lift.

Jerry
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Jerry is right.

Again, I am old and use rules of thumb that my dad and grandad taught me.  I always use 1/2 PSI/foot pressure drop for the liquid column lift (probably incorrectly, I apply this to all refrigerants.)  Amazing how the old dudes that came before us knew this stuff without the access to the science that we use today. 

My grandad was installing air conditioning and refrigeration in the late 40's and early 50's, then dad followed him.  Almost all of my "Rules of Thumb" were beaten into my head by them.

Grandad's #1 rule when I started working with them and learning the trade:  First thing every morning, put your P & T chart in your shirt pocket along with a notebook.  You are useless without them.

Still today, it is part of my morning routine (even on my off days, haha).

Chris
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    If

43 psi is correct at aprox. 8' of lift you will have ZERO pressure.
  • Eugene_Silberstein
    Eugene_Silberstein Member Posts: 349
    Options
    0.43 psi/ft, not 43 psi/ft

Rules of thumb, which you all know I hate, suggest using 0.50 psi/ft.
    Eugene
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Options
    Rule of thumb'ssssssssssssss

LOL Professor! I STILL FEEL the look you gave in your "Psychrometrics w/o Tears" class when I brought up a R.O.T. ! Still LOL!