Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Home Owner

Hi All,

I'm in need of replacing my 8 year old Burnham V8,oil fired, steam boiler.A crack developed in the heat exchanger this past heating season.

I'm dissapointed in the service life of this boiler,the customer service, and the pro rated compensation from Burnham that I received.

I am in the process of having NG piped to my home and will be converting to NG with the new boiler.

My Question: Can someone recommend a brand and type of boiler that is,and has been a consistently reliable unit?A unit that a discriminating heating contractor would install in their own home.

There are alot of reviews out there on different manufacturers,but I'm having a difficult time of trying to find consistency with any one particular brand.

I'd love to hear some thoughts from the pros so I can make an informed decision....Thanks.....Steamified

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Steam

We use PEERLESS a lot. They have 3" boiler tappings and decent efficiency ratings. They also offer BTUH sizes down to 88K, which is close to the smallest size available. Never had any problems with them as long as the maintenance is done properly.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    edited June 2014
    Which make is best?

Properly Installed, by the manual is the way to go. Choose a boiler whose stocking distributor is in your area. The radiators must be measured for their radiation capacity (EDR), to select the size of boiler. Do not simply rely on the old boiler for a size.

Try to determine the cause of the early failure, (post pictures here for an analysis). It could have failed because of:

Bad water-high chlorides, graphitic corrosion.

Bad piping

Improper sizing

Lack of maintenance

Manufacturers defect.

Had the system behaved well before it's demise?

Most questions on this site are about problems caused by bad installation.--NBC